Pool Liner (Repair or Replace Time)

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Hey folks, its that time of year... finally... I am back to my wonderful pool... however... this being my first time opening the pool thanks to you folks... I had discovered two things... One, I have a high water table I guess... I say this cause I left the water half full over the winter (had to drop the CYA)... and when I pulled the cover yesterday I was suppressed with a floating liner... :(... well I started doing the recommended thing "Filling the Pool) and yes it pushed out 99% of the water... however I had a small pocket in 2 corners... so I unhooked the liner from its channel and started to pump the remainder out... 2 days of work!!! and today it looked much better... but I have 3 wrinkles in the bottom... I was ready to deal with it... I started to put the liner back in its channel and wham... it ripped... also I noticed something I haven't before... the corners seem to have shrunken, like they no longer sit flat against the wall... any way the rip is at the top right where the j hook locks into the channel and is vertical I would guess about 6 inches long (so far)... can I patch and make it through the summer like this or will it just keep going down hill... I can get a pic in the morning if it will help you help me... And I know you will ask... the cover is about 7 years old highly faded but was working fine till now.

I have been using your test kit and the BBB method since last year... before that the PO over cemed the pool I am sure of it... its color is almost gone.

thanks

The rip will lengthen over time, but it is difficult to predict how quickly that will happen. It could easily last another season and it could equally easily fail far more dramatically in a couple of weeks. Liners are always under tension, ie stretched a little. The more tension the more the rip will spread. Unfortunately it is difficult to know just how much tension it is under just by looking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.