Running Pentair Intelliflow Pumps in Parallel

Oct 31, 2007
I'm currently running a single Pentair Intelliflow VS-3050 for my 12,000 gallon pool/spa. I've got another VS-3050 that I'd like to add in parallel with the first one.

First question: Can my Pentair EasyTouch system handle that? Would I just wire-up the pumps together, and the EasyTouch wouldn't know the difference?

Second question: I'm assuming that running two pumps at 1200 rpm should in theory move the same amount of water as one at 2400 rpm.\?

My main reason for doing this is that one pump running at 2400 rpm is drawing 816 watts, whereas the same pump running at 1200 rpm draws 136 watts. Two pumps at 1200 rpm would presumably draw 272 watts, which is still only 1/3 of the energy usage vs. the single pump.

Is there something that I'm not thinking about, or any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Mike

You are not taking into consideration the change in head loss. In order to get the same flow rate as a single pump at 2400 RPM (~50 GPM), you would need to run the parallel pumps at around 2300 RPM. This would use close to 1500 Watts combined. If you ran the two pumps at 1200 RPM, you would only get 26 GPM combined and both pumps would use about 350 watts combined. You are better off running one pump at 2400 RPM.

Here is a comparison of the head curves for 2400 RPM, 2x1200 RPM and 1200 RPM with a plumbing curve overlay. As you can see the equivalent head curve for parallel pumps at 1200 RPM is not the same as the head curve for 2400 RPM.

Head Curve Comparison

Very little flow is gained with the parallel pumps. However, if you had very low head loss plumbing, then there might be some flow rate gain but still not better than the 2400 RPM.

JasonLion said:
In addition to the (major) issue mas985 mentioned, the EasyTouch is not able to control two variable speed pumps at the same time.

Are you sure about this? When I look in the Intelliflo settings on my EasyTouch, it lists settings pages for Pump #1 and #2. Also, the manual says "EasyTouch can support a total of two IntelliFlo (or IntelliPro) VF or IntelliFlo VS pumps in any combination with up to eight GPMs or RPMs per pump."

--Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.