Pump motor wearing out

texasbrew

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Humble, TX
I have a Jandy PHPU2.0 pump and the motor sounds like it is getting ready to go out. The motor is beginning to squeal. The motor was replaced under warranty several years back. I am looking to replace the motor and I am hoping that it is something that I can do myself. The motor has a tag that indicates that it is an AO Smith Cat B230SE type CX FR Y56J. I have looked at the motors on the web matching that description and they look slightly different. Is there some place that I could go that would have a list of motors that can be used with my Jandy pump? Is the motor replacement as simple as disconnection a few bolts and wires and then reattaching them? Or is this better done by a pool repairman?

Thanks

texasbrew said:
I have a Jandy PHPU2.0 pump and the motor sounds like it is getting ready to go out. The motor is beginning to squeal. The motor was replaced under warranty several years back. I am looking to replace the motor and I am hoping that it is something that I can do myself. The motor has a tag that indicates that it is an AO Smith Cat B230SE type CX FR Y56J. I have looked at the motors on the web matching that description and they look slightly different. Is there some place that I could go that would have a list of motors that can be used with my Jandy pump? Is the motor replacement as simple as disconnection a few bolts and wires and then reattaching them? Or is this better done by a pool repairman?

Thanks
My pump sounded like that. I pulled the motor and impeller and took it to the pool store to price out bearings and so on. It was just a rock that got caught between the pump and the impeller. A few months later it finally crapped out. But, yes, replacing it isn't all that hard. For me, it was accessing the electrical connections - no room. I found it easier to disconnect the wires and the flex conduit at the panel and separate the wiring after the pump was out.

I'm sure there is a cross-reference somewhere, but I don;t know where it is. Someone wlse will probably chime in soon with that info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.