Problem with things passing through filter system

Apr 6, 2013
I have a Hayward Star Clear II paper filter cartridge system. My pool was just resurfaced and I had a Polaris (supply side) cleaner installed. My pool filter allows small pieces of organic material to pass through, which clogs my Polaris's small in-line filter in about 20 minutes, so I must tend it constantly in order to run it. We have also noticed that when the contractor added some large particle chemicals to the skimmer (it might have been stabilizer?) we could see the particles being pumped right back into the pool.

The contractor recommends a complete new filter system. I don't want to put more money into this than I need to, especially if a newer system would still let this stuff through! Might a new cartridge help, or would that just be a waste of money?

Where might the line be between a filter system that traps such small particles that I would need to clean it every day (not acceptable) and this system I have which lets too much through?

Any advice?

Thank you!

gadgetgirl said:
I have a Hayward Star Clear II paper filter cartridge system. My pool was just resurfaced and I had a Polaris (supply side) cleaner installed. My pool filter allows small pieces of organic material to pass through, which clogs my Polaris's small in-line filter in about 20 minutes, so I must tend it constantly in order to run it. We have also noticed that when the contractor added some large particle chemicals to the skimmer (it might have been stabilizer?) we could see the particles being pumped right back into the pool.

The contractor recommends a complete new filter system. I don't want to put more money into this than I need to, especially if a newer system would still let this stuff through! Might a new cartridge help, or would that just be a waste of money?

Where might the line be between a filter system that traps such small particles that I would need to clean it every day (not acceptable) and this system I have which lets too much through?

Any advice?

Thank you!
There's something wrong with your filter. Even the cheapest cartridge filter should catch anything large enough to see with the naked eye. I'd open it up and make sure nothing is torn or cracked and there are no missing O-rings or anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.