Help please....new pool going up....

AP Guy

Mar 31, 2013
SO I just got done leveling, time to put up the pool. Any ideas on what to do with the huge wall of dirt?? Should I fill it in once the pool is up or put a retainer wall there?? Pool is Intex Ultra Frame 22' x 52" . Any help is appreciated....
20130406_132820_zpsda1c02f3.jpg

I was told filling with dirt will deteriorate the pool wall/liner.

Hello! I am in the same boat though my wall is only about a foot high. I think I will just build a little retaining wall so I don't get a bunch of erosion. I'm afraid rock from the dirt might wash against the liner and put holes in it!

I'd put up a wall of some sort or cut it back (I know, easy for me to say since I'm not swinging the pick) at a slope. But that's just opinion - my pool is inground, so I have no firsthand experience.

I will say that you probably will need some sort of fencing. If some neighbor kid climbs in while you're gone and drowns, you'll have a hefty lawsuit. Attractive nuisance or whatever. It probably wouldn't hurt any to look up the rules where you live; my yard has a 6' fence all around, with a self-closing gate with a deadbolt.

Definitely do not backfill. Soft sided pools like Intex are not built for that. And I agree that you need some sort of fence that is at least 4 feet high, though preferably 6. If you're not going to put a fence up, then at the very least you should put the cover on the pool when not in use and remove and store the ladder indoors or in a locked shed. But you really need to have a fence.

AP Guy said:
What would be the cheapest and easiest way to build a retaining wall. On a budget now..lol
Go find a concrete mason and beg for short scraps of rebar. Then go steal some pallets from behind a store or something and break them apart. Pound some rebar stakes in and stack the wood behind them and backfill.

Oh...you wanted it to look halfway decent... can't help you there. But rebar stakes will probably not rust out before the pool liner needs replacing anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
High side is 3.5 feet deep. New issue.... I got about half a foot of water in the bottom of the pool and noticed a small puddle. I dried it up and realize it is a small trickle, very slow in one section. Obviously I must have a leak somewhere, a small one. What do I do now, how do I find it? I turned off the water for now in hopes of finding it and able to patch it if its that small.

Think the leak is stopped. Weird, maybe it rained last night or something. I dried up the area and have not seen anymore water. Maybe some was accumulated under the pool?? Who knows, so far, so good. (knock on wood) Retaining wall up and being backfilled with dirt. Waiting on pool to fill....doing a little each day. Dont want to fill during evening hours, to cold and the liner is real tough then. Anyway, Here are a couple more pics...
20130407_171734_zps4490f632.jpg

20130407_171818_zps8859f898.jpg

20130407_171803_zpse62d5231.jpg

Im going to be in a similar situation with our Sharline ( cutting into the hill ) most of this ledge will be under the deck, so considering shaving it and angling it and covering it in crushed rock or putting the sod on it. The wall is a great head, but if something happens and that wall starts to lean over towards the pool those poles are going to slice and dice that thing...

I agree tjroux.....I'm securing them back about 2 to 3 feet with rebarb and strong wire. It will be under the deck I'm building so nobody will see. But yes, don't want issues with it caving in and ripping the pool.

HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS WATER SITTING HERE??? It will not drain out do to level ground for pool. Look at last pic and see the mud....will my pool sink eventually?? I tried digging a trench but dont have much room to work with. (Plus it will weaken the soil by the pool right??!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.