Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please....new pool going up....

1. Back To Top    #1

Help please....new pool going up....

SO I just got done leveling, time to put up the pool. Any ideas on what to do with the huge wall of dirt?? Should I fill it in once the pool is up or put a retainer wall there?? Pool is Intex Ultra Frame 22' x 52" . Any help is appreciated....
    I was told filling with dirt will deteriorate the pool wall/liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help please....new pool going up....

Hello! I am in the same boat though my wall is only about a foot high. I think I will just build a little retaining wall so I don't get a bunch of erosion. I'm afraid rock from the dirt might wash against the liner and put holes in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd put up a wall of some sort or cut it back (I know, easy for me to say since I'm not swinging the pick) at a slope. But that's just opinion - my pool is inground, so I have no firsthand experience.

I will say that you probably will need some sort of fencing. If some neighbor kid climbs in while you're gone and drowns, you'll have a hefty lawsuit. Attractive nuisance or whatever. It probably wouldn't hurt any to look up the rules where you live; my yard has a 6' fence all around, with a self-closing gate with a deadbolt.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good point Richard. I city requires a fence with locks. Also if the 4th wall is your house that door must have an alarm on it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely do not backfill. Soft sided pools like Intex are not built for that. And I agree that you need some sort of fence that is at least 4 feet high, though preferably 6. If you're not going to put a fence up, then at the very least you should put the cover on the pool when not in use and remove and store the ladder indoors or in a locked shed. But you really need to have a fence.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone, good pointers. I will update pics as progress moves along. Will be putting a fence up for sure. Many kids in my neighborhood.

7. Back To Top    #7

What would be the cheapest and easiest way to build a retaining wall. On a budget now..lol

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a wide open question. How pleasing to the eye would you like it to be?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by AP Guy
    What would be the cheapest and easiest way to build a retaining wall. On a budget now..lol
    Go find a concrete mason and beg for short scraps of rebar. Then go steal some pallets from behind a store or something and break them apart. Pound some rebar stakes in and stack the wood behind them and backfill.

Oh...you wanted it to look halfway decent... can't help you there. But rebar stakes will probably not rust out before the pool liner needs replacing anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice Richard !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

How many inches deep is that high side?
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

12. Back To Top    #12

High side is 3.5 feet deep. New issue.... I got about half a foot of water in the bottom of the pool and noticed a small puddle. I dried it up and realize it is a small trickle, very slow in one section. Obviously I must have a leak somewhere, a small one. What do I do now, how do I find it? I turned off the water for now in hopes of finding it and able to patch it if its that small.

13. Back To Top    #13

The trickle is coming from underneath the pool, it is not up high anywhere where I can see. I'm hoping it is close to the edge and easily fixable.

14. Back To Top    #14

Since it's a small leak you should be able to patch it pretty easily. Finding it may be your biggest issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Think the leak is stopped. Weird, maybe it rained last night or something. I dried up the area and have not seen anymore water. Maybe some was accumulated under the pool?? Who knows, so far, so good. (knock on wood) Retaining wall up and being backfilled with dirt. Waiting on pool to fill....doing a little each day. Dont want to fill during evening hours, to cold and the liner is real tough then. Anyway, Here are a couple more pics...

16. Back To Top    #16

Hopefully it was just some moisture trapped under the pool or some squeezed out of the ground as the pool set on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Mine did the same thing. Ground was pretty saturated from spring snow and rain.

18. Back To Top    #18

Im going to be in a similar situation with our Sharline ( cutting into the hill ) most of this ledge will be under the deck, so considering shaving it and angling it and covering it in crushed rock or putting the sod on it. The wall is a great head, but if something happens and that wall starts to lean over towards the pool those poles are going to slice and dice that thing...
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

19. Back To Top    #19

I agree tjroux.....I'm securing them back about 2 to 3 feet with rebarb and strong wire. It will be under the deck I'm building so nobody will see. But yes, don't want issues with it caving in and ripping the pool.

20. Back To Top    #20

HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS WATER SITTING HERE??? It will not drain out do to level ground for pool. Look at last pic and see the mud....will my pool sink eventually?? I tried digging a trench but dont have much room to work with. (Plus it will weaken the soil by the pool right??!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast