NooB with a pool !

vsat88

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2013
Phenix City, AL.
Howdy all .. Jim From Alabama (Phenix City). Yep it is spelled that way.. Just moved into a friends house that she is renting to me with the possibility of buying it. We have a pool here that has had basically no maintenance whatsoever for at least a year ! Nice and green and full of leaves frogs and pollen ! I thank everyone here for your tips and value your input ! Not exactly new to the pool maintenance deal however it has been a really long time ! Its an in ground about Forty thousand gallon so I have to get off here now as I have a lot of work to do !!

With best regards, Jim H.

Do you have a good drop based test kit ? Test for cya level if any and post results. If no cya get some in there to start the shock process. Get all the gunk out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, you will need a good test kit and a lot of patience. The test kit is easy, either the K-2006 or TF-100 from tftestkits.net. The patience, though, is the hard part. Unfortunately, I have not found anywhere to buy that yet. As to where you live, how did you know the spelling was going to be the first question I asked? :lol:
While you are waiting for the test kit, I suggest reading over Pool School (upper right) a few times, and fishing out all of the solid junk in your pool.

What they said, but I would add for swamp clearing I suggest getting the TF-100 with the XL option when you order, you will need to do lots of testing while you go through the shock process. While you wait on the test kit to arrive, read the pool school link in the upper right corner a couple times, and fish out what gunk you can.

Ike

Wow ..Awesome responses.. Within just a few moments as well ! Funny one about the spelling ! I am currently fishing and have a test kit on order. I do not trust any pool store in my immediate area so I really do thank all of "yall " LOL !! I have been reading as you all have suggested as well. Thanks again and best regards to all !! Jim H.

vsat88 said:
I do not trust any pool store
Sounds like you're on the right track :mrgreen:

The last time I went in the guy there thought I was still using their stuff I bought the previous season. I hope they think that again this year because I might need to buy some CYA and of course my yearly thermometer.

You might also want to get a big ol' leaf vac that runs off a garden hose for cleaning all that debris off the bottom. Works better than scraping your skimmer along the bottom & hoping for the best.

An in-line leaf trap for your vac hose is useful, too. Traps big debris & moderate-sized dirt & keeps it out of the filter when vacuuming.

Two tools I've learned to appreciate over the years.

Good luck!

Awesome AGAIN . I really do thank each and every one of you as the process is working perfectly. I am simply following suggestions and all is looking really well. I do want a few more items to help with "fishing" however my "tackle box" money is shy till Thursday. Really nice of the site Mod. to come on and and wish me aboard as well !!

Thanks again.. Wish I had took images..best regards to all ! Jim H.