New home owner with pool

Jul 14, 2012
I've read a ton on this site and the pool school in the past couple months. I just wanted to make sure I have a game plan before I start this project.

This time last year, we bought a house that has a 4'x24' round vinyl liner AGP. The house was vacant for about a year (long story) before we moved in. So the pool sat without a cover for at least a year. Towards the end of summer last year I started cleaning the pool out and abandoned the whole project to be picked up this year. Well here we are and I want to get started early enough to enjoy it this summer. The water is dark green and is full of leaves, bugs, and gunk. I'll post a picture when I can.

I have already pulled several wheel barrow loads of junk out of the pool but I'm having a hard time getting the rest not being able to see.

I have the TF100 test kit and ran my first tests this week. I don't have all the results with me but I know CYA is 0. The water is dark but I strained it through a coffee filter and ran the test. The tube filled up and the dot was still visible.

I plan to start shocking Monday in hopes that the water will clear enough that I can clean the rest of the gunk out. I know I need to get the CYA up, but to what level? Would I be ok with taking it to 20 or 30 to get it cleaned up and then adjust for the final result down the road?

Also it was formerly a salt water pool, which I haven't tested for yet, but the SWG is not working so I intended to go with BBB for now. I believe this will be fine due to back washes and vacuums and water changes, correct?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I have my information straight before I start.

I think that cya level would be ok to shoot for. I would go for 30 ppm on the cya. It will keep your shock level lower and use less chlorine to clear. Seems like you've got a good plan of attack.

Just my 0.02 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan. Get the CYA up to a point where you can measure it and start the shock process. Keep fishing for gunk :goodjob:

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Got some liquid CYA to add to it tonight in preparation of Monday. Just to clarify, does the pool calculator work for liquid or just solid CYA? How long after adding it should I start testing the level? Should it be added to the skimmer or at the return?

WooleyBooger said:
Got some liquid CYA to add to it tonight in preparation of Monday. Just to clarify, does the pool calculator work for liquid or just solid CYA? How long after adding it should I start testing the level? Should it be added to the skimmer or at the return?
It works for liquid.
Add ___ by weight or ___ by volume of stabilizer
or add ___ of liquid stabilizer.
http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I'd just pour it in front of a return, so it disperses rapidly. Give it at least an hour to circulate - more is better - and don't spare the brush, that generally gets things mixed really well.

This evening:
[attachment=0:3dbqjmsp]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365297468.921945.jpg[/attachment:3dbqjmsp]
Fired the pump up, got the mess off the top, and added half the recommended dose of CYA. Ill leave the pump running and check it tomorrow.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365297468.921945.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365297468.921945.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 352

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a question. I pulled the steps out of the pool last year, as you can kind of see in the pic. Is there any special cleaning I need to do to them or the hoses, pumps, net...stuff that's been in contact with the swamp?

WooleyBooger said:
Here's a question. I pulled the steps out of the pool last year, as you can kind of see in the pic. Is there any special cleaning I need to do to them or the hoses, pumps, net...stuff that's been in contact with the swamp?
When you can see the bottom clearly, but are still holding FC at shock level, toss everything that has been exposed to the algae into the pool to soak a while. That will kill anything living on it.

WooleyBooger said:

I'll take the steps question:

If you put the steps in the pool while you're shocking, there will likely not be enough circulation over the whole thing (think tiny nooks and crannys) to kill everything that might be hiding in there. Make a bleach/water solution, maybe an ounce or two per gallon of water, in a small bucket and use a rag or sponge to wipe down every surface on the steps that you can reach. After you've manually cleaned it, then let the stairs soak in the pool with everything else.

So after adding half the recommended (pool calculator) dose to get the pool to a CYA level of 30 last night, I tested tonight and still got 0. I could tell there was a slight cloudiness to the test water, but in the tube it wasn't measurable. Does this sound right? Should I keep adding CYA?

First hours FC check is 6, and I can already see a color change. Dosed up and more wait.
Not sure if the pic shows it, but to me it already looks better:
[attachment=0:yg39csz7]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365440874.885256.jpg[/attachment:yg39csz7]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365440874.885256.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365440874.885256.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 241

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.