Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New home owner with pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New home owner with pool

I've read a ton on this site and the pool school in the past couple months. I just wanted to make sure I have a game plan before I start this project.

This time last year, we bought a house that has a 4'x24' round vinyl liner AGP. The house was vacant for about a year (long story) before we moved in. So the pool sat without a cover for at least a year. Towards the end of summer last year I started cleaning the pool out and abandoned the whole project to be picked up this year. Well here we are and I want to get started early enough to enjoy it this summer. The water is dark green and is full of leaves, bugs, and gunk. I'll post a picture when I can.

I have already pulled several wheel barrow loads of junk out of the pool but I'm having a hard time getting the rest not being able to see.

I have the TF100 test kit and ran my first tests this week. I don't have all the results with me but I know CYA is 0. The water is dark but I strained it through a coffee filter and ran the test. The tube filled up and the dot was still visible.

I plan to start shocking Monday in hopes that the water will clear enough that I can clean the rest of the gunk out. I know I need to get the CYA up, but to what level? Would I be ok with taking it to 20 or 30 to get it cleaned up and then adjust for the final result down the road?

Also it was formerly a salt water pool, which I haven't tested for yet, but the SWG is not working so I intended to go with BBB for now. I believe this will be fine due to back washes and vacuums and water changes, correct?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I have my information straight before I start.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New home owner with pool

I think that cya level would be ok to shoot for. I would go for 30 ppm on the cya. It will keep your shock level lower and use less chlorine to clear. Seems like you've got a good plan of attack.

Just my 0.02 !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a good plan. I agree that CYA of 30 would be a good target.

Please take pictures during this battle!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like a plan. Get the CYA up to a point where you can measure it and start the shock process. Keep fishing for gunk

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Got some liquid CYA to add to it tonight in preparation of Monday. Just to clarify, does the pool calculator work for liquid or just solid CYA? How long after adding it should I start testing the level? Should it be added to the skimmer or at the return?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by WooleyBooger
    Got some liquid CYA to add to it tonight in preparation of Monday. Just to clarify, does the pool calculator work for liquid or just solid CYA? How long after adding it should I start testing the level? Should it be added to the skimmer or at the return?
    It works for liquid.
    Add ___ by weight or ___ by volume of stabilizer
    or add ___ of liquid stabilizer.
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I'd just pour it in front of a return, so it disperses rapidly. Give it at least an hour to circulate - more is better - and don't spare the brush, that generally gets things mixed really well.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I completely overlooked that. Wow...

8. Back To Top    #8

This evening:
    [attachment=0:3dbqjmsp]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365297468.921945.jpg[/attachment:3dbqjmsp]
    Fired the pump up, got the mess off the top, and added half the recommended dose of CYA. Ill leave the pump running and check it tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

Other test results were:
    CYA - 0
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 50
    CH - 120

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh boy!! Pictures!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

The Loch Ness Monster might even be in there!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here's a question. I pulled the steps out of the pool last year, as you can kind of see in the pic. Is there any special cleaning I need to do to them or the hoses, pumps, net...stuff that's been in contact with the swamp?

13. Back To Top    #13

Here's a question. I pulled the steps out of the pool last year, as you can kind of see in the pic. Is there any special cleaning I need to do to them or the hoses, pumps, net...stuff that's been in contact with the swamp?
    When you can see the bottom clearly, but are still holding FC at shock level, toss everything that has been exposed to the algae into the pool to soak a while. That will kill anything living on it.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'll take the steps question:

If you put the steps in the pool while you're shocking, there will likely not be enough circulation over the whole thing (think tiny nooks and crannys) to kill everything that might be hiding in there. Make a bleach/water solution, maybe an ounce or two per gallon of water, in a small bucket and use a rag or sponge to wipe down every surface on the steps that you can reach. After you've manually cleaned it, then let the stairs soak in the pool with everything else.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

So after adding half the recommended (pool calculator) dose to get the pool to a CYA level of 30 last night, I tested tonight and still got 0. I could tell there was a slight cloudiness to the test water, but in the tube it wasn't measurable. Does this sound right? Should I keep adding CYA?

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Granular CYA will not show up on the test for 2-6 days.

Meanwhile, assume the dosage you calculated is in your pool and adjust your FC accordingly
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

I used liquid CYA which I thought would register on a test as soon as it as circulated.

18. Back To Top    #18

I added some more last night before bed. This morning its right at 30. Made a trip for bleach and i'm about to start shocking. Wish me luck!

19. Back To Top    #19

First hours FC check is 6, and I can already see a color change. Dosed up and more wait.
    Not sure if the pic shows it, but to me it already looks better:
    [attachment=0:yg39csz7]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365440874.885256.jpg[/attachment:yg39csz7]
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Back To Top    #20

I can definitely see a change!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast