Drain cover just below skimmer

Cajun

Dec 16, 2011
Prosper, Texas
I have a drain cover mounted to the sidewall just below both skimmer baskets. It doesn't appear to be connected to the skimmer unless its done below the skimmer housing. I see other pools don't have this. Any idea what this is for?

Thanks

They could be equalizer lines that connect to the bottom of the skimmers. Although I can not picture what you described. Can you add pictures?

Do you have 2 holes in the bottom off the skimmers? Is the floor drain plumbed to the equipment pad?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Here is a picture.

20130407_094135.jpg

There is another one like this under the other skimmer. I do have a 2nd pump for water features. I was told 2 of the bottom drains were for that pump. Are you guys thinking maybe the side ones tie into these as well?

Do you have a valve at the equipment pad to select between the skimmers and the floor? If so, I am guessing the drains by the skimmers are just equalization lines that are plumbed to the skimmers. They are there as a safety if the water dropped below skimmer level, so that air is not sucked into the pump.

Do you have a diverter valve below the skimmer basket?

The easiest way to tell is to turn the pumps on individually and see if there's any suction. With the approved covers, it's hard to feel the draw, but a few drops of food coloring nearby should get sucked in. The chlorine will bleach it out and oxidize it quick, but I'd use blue myself... :wink:

So I decided to take a look at some pictures taken during the build. Here is one of the skimmer and you can clearly see the pipe goes to the bottom of the skimmer.
DSC00686.jpg

Here is a shot of the skimmer basket.
20130407_145712.jpg

The left or front pipe does to the drain cover. I feel really silly now because I always thought that was just a plugged opening that went no place, never realizing it actually connected to the pool. I guess this is a good thing but maybe not code in this area as not all pools have them. To answer the earlier question yes I have 3 separate values to at the pump for the pool. 1 for each skimmer and one for the floor drains.

That is a skimmer equalization port. It allows the skimmer to continue to draw water even if the skimmer basket if completely full of leaves (or otherwise blocked). You often see them on commercial pools, but they are very unusual on residential pools.

Of course they only work as a "safety" if you have the float diverter sitting on the 2 holes under the basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like a little spaceship. There is a picture in the encyclopedia in Pool School. Our just Google skimmer float diverter. It should not really affect the skimmer performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.