Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No longer green, but still cloudy...

1. Back To Top    #1

No longer green, but still cloudy...

I'm sure my problem has been addressed in here, but I can't seem to find it. I apologize up front if I'm starting a new thread on a repeated topic!

The problem:
    A week ago I had a 10,000 gallon swamp; now I have beautiful blue cloudy water that seems to have stopped clearing up. I've kept it balanced, chlorine demand has stabilized, and the filter had run 24/7 with it like this for a week, but it's still cloudy. How can I clear it up?

The story:
    About 1 1/2 weeks ago (while it was still the swamp), I drained & refilled about half of it because last season my CYA was through the roof. After refilling, I started filtering 24/7, got pH to 7.2, TA to 100, Cal to 280. There was no chlorine at the time, and the water was so nasty, I didn't really trust my CYA result of 70.

Last Saturday (3/30/2013) I implemented the pool school article for turning the pond into crystal clear water as closely as I possibly could. Over the course of the day, I used 8 lbs of shock to maintain a FC level of 35. I brushed and backwashed almost every hour, and by evening the green was almost gone. Sunday I continued the same thing and that night there was less than a .5 drop in FC. Monday morning it was blue, but cloudy and it's remained like that since.

I've let the FC level drop, and have tested every night to ensure the loss is still less than .5. My current numbers are:
    FC: 11
    pH:7.4
    TA:115
    Cal:280
    CYA:70? (Still getting this, but it's really hard to tell - I'd hoped it would be lower!)

This is like losing that last 5 pounds! I'd appreciate any ideas on what I need to do to clear it on up?

Thanks!!
    10K gal Trilogy Equinox Fiberglass IGP, Hayward S244T Pro-Series Sand Filter, Hayward 1hp Pump, Hayward CL200 chlorine feeder, Polaris 380 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No longer green, but still cloudy...

Keep filtering and backwashing as needed, it can take time for a sand filter to clear out everything
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you using dichlor ot trichlor? You said 5 lbs of shock, which indicates yes. If so, you need to stop. The drain and refill you did to get rid of CYA is on it's way to being negated. Hold the FC at shock level with bleach, and keep at it. Sand filters take longer to work so don't be surprised to see slow progress.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe you could put some DE in with the sand to help it out

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Confirm the type of chlorine you were using. Dichlor would be adding a lot of CYA. Cal-hypo would be adding calcium and could be some of the cause of cloudy water.

Would have been best to stick to liquid chlorine to avoid these possible issues.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I used di-chlor to shock. So I guess that makes sense why my CYA isn't any lower than it is. So I know that would mean I need to keep the FC level higher for it to be effective, but according to the overnight loss test, my algae is dead. But, you're saying that's slowing the clearing process, too?
    10K gal Trilogy Equinox Fiberglass IGP, Hayward S244T Pro-Series Sand Filter, Hayward 1hp Pump, Hayward CL200 chlorine feeder, Polaris 380 Vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

But, you're saying that's slowing the clearing process, too?
    What is slowing it? Dichlor? Then the answer is no....just don't use it ANY more because it is piling up your CYA.

The shock process involves killing the algae (which you probably but may not have done) and then clearing the small particles out of your water through filtration.

During both parts (killing and filtering) of the process you keep your FC at shock level (28ppm in your case) and run your pump 24/7, backwashing as necessary, until the water is crystal clear.

The last part can take longer than it might seem.....you just have to be patient and keep your FC up and keep the pump running.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

OH!!! I thought I kept it at shock level until my overnight FC loss was less than .5!! Ok, I'll go load up on bleach, raise it back up and keep it there. Thank you!!!

One more question. I have a solar blanket I'd like to put on. Will that hurt anything?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, keep the FC level up above 21 ppm (per poolcalculator.com) until you pass all three criteria in the shocking process, they are also in my sig.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by LauraJ
    One more question. I have a solar blanket I'd like to put on. Will that hurt anything?
    I would leave it off until the shock process is complete. If you're oxidizing any inorganics, you want that stuff out of the pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree with Smykowski. Two reasons...high chlorine levels can shorten the life of the cover and the uv light from the sun is your friend to burn off the CC that occurs during the shocking process.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Added bleach and my FC is back up to 26. Thanks for all the help thus far!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

You all are awesome!! I can see the bottom!!! Still have a couple of days to go, probably, but I'm definitely moving in the right direction! Thank you SO much!

14. Back To Top    #14

Keep up the good work you'll finish of those organics in no time.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just because I'm curious (and a nerd), what is happening chemically to it right now? I thought the shock just killed the algae and it was cloudy because the algae was dying faster than the filter could process it out. Now I don't understand what the chlorine is doing to clear it up that the filter wasn't.

16. Back To Top    #16

Just because I'm curious (and a nerd), what is happening chemically to it right now? I thought the shock just killed the algae and it was cloudy because the algae was dying faster than the filter could process it out. Now I don't understand what the chlorine is doing to clear it up that the filter wasn't.
    Keeping it at shock level at this point is extra insurance to guarantee the algae can't re-bloom. The fact of the matter is that you don't know for sure that it's all dead (although in all likelihood, it is).

17. Back To Top    #17

You're on the right track, keep at it. I JUST went through this same scenario, only difference is that I started out & stayed with liquid chlorine. Keep at it, keep brushing and scooping out anything that is in the water, keep the filter running and keep that chlorine level up until it's clear. if you need some encouragement or reassurance that it WILL clear up:
    too-cold-for-algae-wrong-swamp-to-sparkle-in10-days-50-t55062.html
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/½ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

18. Back To Top    #18

What is happening is a couple of things. One is that you may not have killed off every little bit of algae and keeping the FC at shock level ensures that it keeps killing it. Two is that chlorine is a strong oxidizer and keeping the FC at shock level helps oxidize some of the stuff in the pool which in turn helps it clear faster.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit