Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wrong Valve? ...bubbles in basket and losing prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Wrong Valve? ...bubbles in basket and losing prime

I had trouble all last year with my vacuum .... and a small amount of bubbles in the basket as well.

If i close the main drain and switched to just the skimmer / vacuum the pump would lose prime (i assume that is the correct phrase - it would stop pumping water until i reopen the main drain).

Last year i had a leak and installed a new valve as part of my repair ..... it is different than the previous valve and different than the valve for the main drain .... i believe i have read on here that the incorrect valve type could cause my issues.

this is the new one
    [attachment=1:h6xpzaa4]S30A0067.jpg[/attachment:h6xpzaa4]

here is the main drain valve
    [attachment=0:h6xpzaa4]S30A0065.jpg[/attachment:h6xpzaa4]

any ideas??
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wrong Valve? ...bubbles in basket and losing prime

The blue valve is currently in the off position. Is there a reason you turned it off for the picture? If you turn both valves to the on position, are there still bubbles in the pump basket?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    The blue valve is currently in the off position. Is there a reason you turned it off for the picture? If you turn both valves to the on position, are there still bubbles in the pump basket?

it's winter in NY ........ my problem goes back to last season

if i have them both open i get a small amount of bubbles ..... if i shut down the main drain i lose prime almost immediately

as i mentioned i read the wrong valve can cause trouble .... or maybe something in the line to the skimmer??
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

The valve is not ideal but shouldn't cause that problem unless it is in the off position.

However, skimmer lines can sometimes clog with debris so that would be more likely. When you do open the pool, you could try to back flush the line from the pump backwards. Turn on the skimmer with the main drain off, remove the skimmer basket, remove the pump basket, put a hose in the pump basket inlet line, seal with a wet rag and turn on the hose. This will flush any debris backwards out of the skimmer.

But since you have bubbles with both lines open, it is possible there is a leak in the skimmer line and since you did the work on the valve, that could be the location.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

When i closed the pool i blew out the line to the skimmer with a compressor.

I would assume a partial blockage in the line would not stop the water from all blowing out?? .... when i blew the line out all of the water was definitely out.

Would a plumbing snake be a bad idea?
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

Then I would focus on an air leak on the skimmer side of the plumbing.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Shaving cream around the fitting can help isolate suction leaks when the pump is running

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~