New pool owner, checking next step

mrdz12

Mar 15, 2013
Hello, I'm a new above ground pool owner. I've been reading some of the basics on this site, and am ready to start tweaking my chemistry. I am just a little hesitant as it's my first time, and I don't want to start a zombie apocalypse by either having the water too dirty or too clean. :lol:

As of 4/5/13 my chemistry according to the kit says:

Cl = 1-2 range
pH = ~8.2
TA = 200
Hardness = 250
CYA = < 30

I don't have a thermometer in the water, but I estimate the temp around 60ish. I have my SWG running on boost for 80hrs (though I doubt it will run that long due to calcification on the plates, I've had to clean them once already). Here is what I was planning on doing...

1. I think I may need to supplement the chlorine with tablets (or bleach) to help the generator 'catch up' from 0. The generator is supposed to be able to sustain my size pool if running for 12 cycles.
2. Add some muriatic acid to get the pH down ~7.2 range.
3. Since my TA is high, wait to see what it does after getting the pH down.
4. I have hard water pretty bad here in central TX. Not sure how to work this or if I need to...
5. Get CYA levels up 80ish, since the pool is out in the open no shade to the TX sun.

Am I headed in the right direction? What would you change?

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is to get the PH down to around 7.2 (as you said), which you should do as soon as possible. The high PH and high TA are causing the scaling on the SWG plates.

Then once that is under control start working on raising the CYA level. Keep in mind that it is fairly easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower CYA. So aim a little low and raise it up some more later after you see how the first addition turned out.

You aren't going to be able to maintain much of a chlorine level until you get the CYA level up. At low CYA levels sunlight wipes out all of the chlorine fairly quickly. As long as the CYA is low and the water looks good FC levels around 1 are fine. As CYA comes up you will of course need to raise your FC target level.

Ok, took me a bit, but I finally had time to get to it...

Added half a gallon of muratic acid and got my pH to 7.2 and TA at 180
Added 3.75lbs of granular CYA and got levels to ~30ish
Added chlorine and got it up to 3-4 range
Hardness still at ~250

I'll be testing daily for next few days to see how the CYA and chlorine levels do...and to show my daughter all the cool testing that goes on to keep the pool swim'able. :)

Any tips on how to get the hardness down?

Now off to do some more skimming, neighbor just cut his grass, so I have grass 'dust' I want out. Also, aside from the hardness tip, anyone got ideas on how to keep bugs out? I didn't know there were that many thirsty bugs! LOL

Only way to lower the hardness (which your is not high anyway) is to pump out and replace with lower CH water.

No need to test the CYA very often. Takes up to a week to fully show up on the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.