Hello, I'm a new above ground pool owner. I've been reading some of the basics on this site, and am ready to start tweaking my chemistry. I am just a little hesitant as it's my first time, and I don't want to start a zombie apocalypse by either having the water too dirty or too clean.
As of 4/5/13 my chemistry according to the kit says:
Cl = 1-2 range
pH = ~8.2
TA = 200
Hardness = 250
CYA = < 30
I don't have a thermometer in the water, but I estimate the temp around 60ish. I have my SWG running on boost for 80hrs (though I doubt it will run that long due to calcification on the plates, I've had to clean them once already). Here is what I was planning on doing...
1. I think I may need to supplement the chlorine with tablets (or bleach) to help the generator 'catch up' from 0. The generator is supposed to be able to sustain my size pool if running for 12 cycles.
2. Add some muriatic acid to get the pH down ~7.2 range.
3. Since my TA is high, wait to see what it does after getting the pH down.
4. I have hard water pretty bad here in central TX. Not sure how to work this or if I need to...
5. Get CYA levels up 80ish, since the pool is out in the open no shade to the TX sun.
Am I headed in the right direction? What would you change?