Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter cartridge cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter cartridge cleaner

Our DE filter cartridge needs a cleaning before we start up the pool this year. What do you all recommend I use to clean it?

Thanks,

Kelley
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter cartridge cleaner

Backwash it, then blast the screens with a hose nozzle. I don't even bother disassembling mine any more. I backwash until it looks clean, shut it off and let it drain out the hose, remove the lid, blast any residue off the screens with the hose, reassemble, and backwash some more to get the last of it out of the tank. Done. Maybe half an hour, and a lot of that is carefully unrolling and rerolling the backwash hose.

There's a lot more in this thread: use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    You might also get lucky and find a video on youtube that will show how to dismantle you filter for cleaning.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: DE filter cartridge cleaner

Thanks. It's the chemical cleaning I need to do. The link you provided told me just what I needed to know.

Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.