Pressure side or suction cleaner? Not sure

Mar 8, 2013
Sayville, NY
I have a 16x32 IG vinyl pool with a 4' shallow end and 8' deep end. It has 4 returns in the shallow end, 2 of which are stair sweepers. I have a valve that I can turn to switch between the 2 main returns or the stair sweepers or anywhere in between. In the deep end I have 2 skimmers with no control over them. I have no other lines or fittings.

I have a 2 HP Hayward single speed motor and a Hayward de filter. I am trying to figure out if I want to go with a suction side or pressure side vacuum? It seems the polaris 360 and the kreepy krauly are well received here so I would consider either of them. I do not have many trees or anything much around the pool so I need something that will pick up the general dirt that gets into the pool to cut down on my manual vacuuming.

It seems I can use either suction or pressure side, I just don't see much of a difference? I see the suction side will send all the dirt to my filter, which I am fine with. The pressure side seems to contain all the dirt and I would have to clean the bag, and it also seems that it won't pick up the small particles that a suction side would?

Are there other pros and cons to either of these options?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a bunch of "fine" dirt.............I don't believe the polaris pressure side that drags a bag around is what you want.........(can't remember the model#). With 2 skimmers, I'd personally pick the suction cleaner. Only problem with that is you have a DE filter which is where it's all gonna end up! Clean pool.......or cleaning grids.....always a tradeoff! Others with those models will be along. At least your system gives you options. Good luck!

I have never used pressure side cleaners only suction side, and now robotic. In my experience the more expensive ones are built better, but may not clean better or get hung up less. One of the best (cleaning) suction side cleaners I ever owned was a $70 model from Lowes, of course it started falling apart within a couple of weeks and could not longer be patched back together after 1 season. It was also noisier than the $300+ model I had before it, but at least it did not keep getting caught in the corner. I now use a Dolphin Diagnostic robotic cleaner and would never go back.

jdfrye said:
I had the kreepy for a few seasons, it would always get hung up in the corners of my rectangle vinyl pool..one season it popped a hole in the liner from being stuck and hammered the bottom for who knows how long.
Wow! That doesn't sound good, especially since I just got a new liner in!

What do you use now?

I have a Hayward Navigator that I got for like $3 at a yard sale... It works great in my pool. I have a 16' round above ground and ive never had any problems with it besides replacing many parts because its so old. It never gets stuck and has great coverage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.