Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure side or suction cleaner? Not sure

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure side or suction cleaner? Not sure

I have a 16x32 IG vinyl pool with a 4' shallow end and 8' deep end. It has 4 returns in the shallow end, 2 of which are stair sweepers. I have a valve that I can turn to switch between the 2 main returns or the stair sweepers or anywhere in between. In the deep end I have 2 skimmers with no control over them. I have no other lines or fittings.

I have a 2 HP Hayward single speed motor and a Hayward de filter. I am trying to figure out if I want to go with a suction side or pressure side vacuum? It seems the polaris 360 and the kreepy krauly are well received here so I would consider either of them. I do not have many trees or anything much around the pool so I need something that will pick up the general dirt that gets into the pool to cut down on my manual vacuuming.

It seems I can use either suction or pressure side, I just don't see much of a difference? I see the suction side will send all the dirt to my filter, which I am fine with. The pressure side seems to contain all the dirt and I would have to clean the bag, and it also seems that it won't pick up the small particles that a suction side would?

Are there other pros and cons to either of these options?

Thanks in advance.
    16 x 32 Vinyl IGP ~22000 G

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure side or suction cleaner? Not sure

If you have a bunch of "fine" dirt.............I don't believe the polaris pressure side that drags a bag around is what you want.........(can't remember the model#). With 2 skimmers, I'd personally pick the suction cleaner. Only problem with that is you have a DE filter which is where it's all gonna end up! Clean pool.......or cleaning grids.....always a tradeoff! Others with those models will be along. At least your system gives you options. Good luck!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never used pressure side cleaners only suction side, and now robotic. In my experience the more expensive ones are built better, but may not clean better or get hung up less. One of the best (cleaning) suction side cleaners I ever owned was a $70 model from Lowes, of course it started falling apart within a couple of weeks and could not longer be patched back together after 1 season. It was also noisier than the $300+ model I had before it, but at least it did not keep getting caught in the corner. I now use a Dolphin Diagnostic robotic cleaner and would never go back.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the robots are out of my price range. Sounds like the suction side are what I want and the kreepy krauly seems to be pretty robust.
    Any other viable options to the kreepy krauly?

5. Back To Top    #5

I had the kreepy for a few seasons, it would always get hung up in the corners of my rectangle vinyl pool..one season it popped a hole in the liner from being stuck and hammered the bottom for who knows how long.
    17000 gl. In-ground vinyl pool
    Naturesoft/aquarite SWG t-15 cell
    Vinyl liner measured and installed by me

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrye
    I had the kreepy for a few seasons, it would always get hung up in the corners of my rectangle vinyl pool..one season it popped a hole in the liner from being stuck and hammered the bottom for who knows how long.
    Wow! That doesn't sound good, especially since I just got a new liner in!

What do you use now?

7. Back To Top    #7

this will be my third year just manually vacuuming the pool. I figure it gets me out there and pay attention to it. not thinking getting any pool cleaner
    17000 gl. In-ground vinyl pool
    Naturesoft/aquarite SWG t-15 cell
    Vinyl liner measured and installed by me

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Hayward Navigator that I got for like $3 at a yard sale... It works great in my pool. I have a 16' round above ground and ive never had any problems with it besides replacing many parts because its so old. It never gets stuck and has great coverage.
    Pool Type: Intex 16' Ultra Frame 48" Deep
    Mods: Upgraded Filter, Modified inlet/outlet (Soon to be hard plumbed and in wall skimmer)
    Filter: 18" ClearWater Sand Filter
    Pump: 1HP Waterway 1 Speed, About 80 GPM
    Years in Use: 2