Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closed Pool Drain / bad pool circulation

1. Back To Top    #1

Closed Pool Drain / bad pool circulation

after diving 6ft and unscrewing screws I found out that there is... nothing under the plastic main drain - I guess previous owners must have cemented the drain years ago - pipe still exist.

Would it be worthwile opening it again and maybe with a snake and new flexible pipe reopening it?

The problem I am currently facing is that there's no circulation unless a pool hose or vacum cleaner is in the pool.

3 returns are 1 foot deep, 1 skimmer also 1 vaccum port in the shallow side

any ideas / suggestions?
    32x15 IG Borate+Salt, Pentair VS+SVRS, howard swim pure 40 SWG, Pentair 4000 48sqft DE, Mastertemp 300, Electric Pool Cover, Polaris P93, 4 Kids for Aeration, ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closed Pool Drain / bad pool circulation

If you aim one of the returns down towards the bottom of the deep end you shouldn't have any problems with circulation. Before my renovation I only had a single return and I never had much trouble finding a way to aim it so that all of the pool water circulated well and mixed throughly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would also suggest looking at some of the alternative eyeball types, like the 90 degree angle fittings and slitted eyeball fittings (you may try an ebay search on pool eyeball) to direct return flow to the deep end.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll take a closer look at the old/half broken return eyeballs, thanks.

how hard is it to take them out and replace them?
    32x15 IG Borate+Salt, Pentair VS+SVRS, howard swim pure 40 SWG, Pentair 4000 48sqft DE, Mastertemp 300, Electric Pool Cover, Polaris P93, 4 Kids for Aeration, ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

There is more than one style of eyeball, some screw in others are press in, some have threads on the inside others on the outside, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Looked online and surprisingly found a very good one for $6 at Leslie's that comes with 3 different eyeballs, currently can feel the water stream 5 feet away at 2000rpm