Cracked Fiberglass Steps

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
Forgive me if this isn't the correct section to list this. A friend has a liner pool with fiberglass steps. Pool was installed in 1996. He purchased house(repo house) last year but the pool/house sat unused for several years with little or no water in the pool. So he had liner replaced last summer and used it till the water got too cold to use. He has been loosing water in his pool for months now. He has cracking on the fiberglass steps so he drained the pool to below the steps and the water level is appears to be holding. Question is can the steps be sealed with some type of epoxy sealer to stop the leak? The steps sat in the sunlight with no water on them for who know how long.

Todd

I'd think any underwater grade epoxy for small cracks. Worse than that would take a fiberglass repair kit. Question is.........can he tell WHERE it's leaking in those steps?

I haven't personally seen the steps yet. As I said they sat a few years while the house was vacant with little or no water in the pool. I'd guess the steps are like dryrotted or brittle. It is my understanding the leak detector person he had check the liner for leaks found the leaks on the steps. Enough to want to eqoxy the whole step area. I suggested he replace the whole step with new if one of the same size could be found. I'm guessing a new one would have to mate up with the liner somehow? And only a direct replacement would work unless he wants to get a new step and another new liner? And I do not believe thats a option at this time.

Todd

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.