Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked Fiberglass Steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked Fiberglass Steps

Forgive me if this isn't the correct section to list this. A friend has a liner pool with fiberglass steps. Pool was installed in 1996. He purchased house(repo house) last year but the pool/house sat unused for several years with little or no water in the pool. So he had liner replaced last summer and used it till the water got too cold to use. He has been loosing water in his pool for months now. He has cracking on the fiberglass steps so he drained the pool to below the steps and the water level is appears to be holding. Question is can the steps be sealed with some type of epoxy sealer to stop the leak? The steps sat in the sunlight with no water on them for who know how long.

Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracked Fiberglass Steps

I'd think any underwater grade epoxy for small cracks. Worse than that would take a fiberglass repair kit. Question is.........can he tell WHERE it's leaking in those steps?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cracked Fiberglass Steps

I haven't personally seen the steps yet. As I said they sat a few years while the house was vacant with little or no water in the pool. I'd guess the steps are like dryrotted or brittle. It is my understanding the leak detector person he had check the liner for leaks found the leaks on the steps. Enough to want to eqoxy the whole step area. I suggested he replace the whole step with new if one of the same size could be found. I'm guessing a new one would have to mate up with the liner somehow? And only a direct replacement would work unless he wants to get a new step and another new liner? And I do not believe thats a option at this time.

Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana