Is it true I should shock my pool at least four weeks?

Kir

Apr 5, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi All! I'm new to TFP. I have a mesh safety cover over a 20x40, L shaped IG pool with a liner and live in the Northeast. Long Island to be specific. Is it true I should shock my pool at least four weeks before I plan to open? Folks also are telling me I need to add algeacide 1 week before opening. Can someone confirm if that is in fact true. I ordered one of the testing kits recommended on this site and will be testing upon receipt but was wondering if I should add water to the pool now to get it up to near skimmer level or wait until after it is opened.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!
Glad you ordered your kit!
Now read pool school (top of the page) once you have read POOL SCHOOL take a break to rest your brain and read it again. This same advice was given to me and it is some of the most valuable info I have received. There is an article about shocking the pool as well.
The knowledge you gain will help you build confidence in your ability to maintain your Trouble Free Pool.
Even with a swamp pool it should not take four weeks to get it blue.

Filling the pool and opening depends on your preference and water temps. I'm in central Kansas and haven't opened yet due to weather and the pool temp still being low 40s.

If you open it now you need to maintain it to keep it crystal clear.

Welcome to TFP!

There is no point in doing anything before you open the pool. You need to have the pool full and the pump running before you add any chemicals.

With a mesh cover it is best to open at roughly the time the water temperature gets up to 50 degrees. Doing that will minimize the chances that you need to shock the pool at all, and shorten the time shocking takes if you do need to shock.

Thanks. I read Pool School and it didn't answer any of my specific questions hence my posting. I lifted the cover this afternoon and took a look and I can already see what looks like green algea. The pool gets a lot of sun. My concern was that the sun coming through the mesh cover was causing more algea to grow. Loop-loc recommends shocking before opening so thought I would ask here. I will monitor the water temp, remove the cover and fill the pool when it approaches 50 degrees and take it from there. Can't wait to post my first test results so you can all advise me on how to keep that monster crystal clear!

I'm not real sure I understand your question. Your title says something about shocking the pool for 4 weeks. Your first post says something about algaecide for a week.

Either way, follow Jason's advice.

Rule one have a nice test kit as the two kits that are recommended on this site,without it your spinning your wheels.also if you read pool school it explains that it that how long you have to shock depends on what the water test results say when you are ready to fire pool pump up. Anything the pool store told you or sold you toss it or throw it away cause all you will need is a few simple things other than a taylor test kit is liquid chlorine.im sure the pros on this site will chime in soon to help also, hope this make some sense

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I remember a time at the pool store when I told the manager that I never had to shock my water. His reply was then you must have some very green water. My reply was you are welcome to come and see my green water anytime you would like.

I like to go there sometimes to stir the pot alittle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.