Trichlor and Filters

Apr 3, 2013
Lewisville, TX
Hey all,

I have a cartridge filter and a chlorinator. I read in the "Definitions & Abbreviations" section that trichlor isn't a 'good choice' for cartridge filters & extended swim season pools (I live in north Texas). Is there a better product I can use in my chlorinator or will the tabs/sticks be ok? I read about liquid chlorine being pour directly into the pool, but haven't come across it being added via chlorinator. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eric

eap2313 said:
I read in the "Definitions & Abbreviations" section that trichlor isn't a 'good choice' for cartridge filters & extended swim season pools (I live in north Texas).
Two reasons I can think of. First, backwashing removes some of the cya that comes from using trichlor...cartridge filters are not backwashed. Second, clearing a pool of an algea outbreak is much more work with a cartridge filter as opposed to a filter you can backwash. The problem with the typical trichlor user is they let their cya level get too high without maintaining a proper FC level...eventually having an algae outbreak. The reason why extended season pools are even worse is that the cya level can get so high that the proper FC level becomes impractically high. See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

A Rainbow chlorinator will only work with trichlor tablets. Trichlor will constantly raise your CYA level. That is alright for a time, but after not all that long the CYA level will get too high and you will need to replace a fair portion of your water.

There are somewhat related feeders that will work with liquid chlorine, such as the Liquidator and various brands of peristaltic metering pumps.

you can use the chlorinator if you just keep an eye on your cya. I use 1-2 pucks per week in swimming season, I just have to supplement about twice a week with bleach or cal-hypo. at the end of the season it's usually pretty high (around 80). but I use bleach only in the winter and by the next swim season it's usually low. right now it's only around 10-20 or so. I just started using pucks again (in moderation).

Good post, brg88tx. You are practicing BBB perfectly by understanding how to MANAGE your pool water. Too many people get the impression that we never suggest trichlor......not true.......we suggest you MANAGE trichlor if you choose to use it.

Much like happy hour........if it's managed there is not a problem. Unmanaged happy hour (like when my friends overserve me) never ends well. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the information. I think I want to try the trichlor and manage with bleach as necessary, but my major concern is the increased CYA. I seen several posts say that it raises CYA and the only way to rid of it is drain some water out and put in new water. As a new owners I don't want my water bill to suffer, but I guess everything gets easier with time. Also, doesn't trichlor decrease pH as well?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I should be receiveing my TF-100 kit soon in the mail. I will post my levels once it comes. But when times come to adjust levels, if I decide to use the trichlor method, I plan to use the following items for adjustments:

FC = bleach/liquid chlorine (as necessary)
pH = MA & Borax
CYA = stabilizer
TA = baking soda
CH = calcium chloride

Does this sound about right? What are some good stabilizer and calcium chloride brands?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.