Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor and Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor and Filters

Hey all,

I have a cartridge filter and a chlorinator. I read in the "Definitions & Abbreviations" section that trichlor isn't a 'good choice' for cartridge filters & extended swim season pools (I live in north Texas). Is there a better product I can use in my chlorinator or will the tabs/sticks be ok? I read about liquid chlorine being pour directly into the pool, but haven't come across it being added via chlorinator. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eric
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa
    Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor and Filters

Quote Originally Posted by eap2313
    I read in the "Definitions & Abbreviations" section that trichlor isn't a 'good choice' for cartridge filters & extended swim season pools (I live in north Texas).
    Two reasons I can think of. First, backwashing removes some of the cya that comes from using trichlor...cartridge filters are not backwashed. Second, clearing a pool of an algea outbreak is much more work with a cartridge filter as opposed to a filter you can backwash. The problem with the typical trichlor user is they let their cya level get too high without maintaining a proper FC level...eventually having an algae outbreak. The reason why extended season pools are even worse is that the cya level can get so high that the proper FC level becomes impractically high. See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

A Rainbow chlorinator will only work with trichlor tablets. Trichlor will constantly raise your CYA level. That is alright for a time, but after not all that long the CYA level will get too high and you will need to replace a fair portion of your water.

There are somewhat related feeders that will work with liquid chlorine, such as the Liquidator and various brands of peristaltic metering pumps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Seems like I basically have a "useless" chlorinator.
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Seems like I basically have a "useless" chlorinator.
    No, It works fine for vacations if you keep your CYA in check. I loose enough CYA through rainfall that a week or two using the tablets a year keeps everything where I want it.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

you can use the chlorinator if you just keep an eye on your cya. I use 1-2 pucks per week in swimming season, I just have to supplement about twice a week with bleach or cal-hypo. at the end of the season it's usually pretty high (around 80). but I use bleach only in the winter and by the next swim season it's usually low. right now it's only around 10-20 or so. I just started using pucks again (in moderation).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Good post, brg88tx. You are practicing BBB perfectly by understanding how to MANAGE your pool water. Too many people get the impression that we never suggest trichlor......not true.......we suggest you MANAGE trichlor if you choose to use it.

Much like happy hour........if it's managed there is not a problem. Unmanaged happy hour (like when my friends overserve me) never ends well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

One thing to keep in mind... managing tricolor, and the moving fc requirements can be tricky for new pool chemists.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the information. I think I want to try the trichlor and manage with bleach as necessary, but my major concern is the increased CYA. I seen several posts say that it raises CYA and the only way to rid of it is drain some water out and put in new water. As a new owners I don't want my water bill to suffer, but I guess everything gets easier with time. Also, doesn't trichlor decrease pH as well?

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, doesn't trichlor decrease pH as well?
    Good point! And TA too! Both of those and moving FC targets are complexities that can be difficult for new pool chemists (and some of us not so new ones as well).

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. I should be receiveing my TF-100 kit soon in the mail. I will post my levels once it comes. But when times come to adjust levels, if I decide to use the trichlor method, I plan to use the following items for adjustments:

FC = bleach/liquid chlorine (as necessary)
    pH = MA & Borax
    CYA = stabilizer
    TA = baking soda
    CH = calcium chloride

Does this sound about right? What are some good stabilizer and calcium chloride brands?

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Your materials are correct. The brand seems to be mostly irrelevant as long as you take a look at the ingredients on the label.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Dave. I actually purchased my test kit from your site. Can't wait!

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Thank you! I think you will see it tomorrow.
    Dave S.