Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In a conundrum! DIY or pro install

1. Back To Top    #1

In a conundrum! DIY or pro install

Hello all,

So we waited before ordering the 24' Sharkline I talked about earlier on this forum. It's such a big purchase, we wanted to make the right decision. During that time, DH has gotten concerned about the install. He is very capable of the physical work, but we've never done this type of project before. His mom offered to pay for a pro install, so they sent me to talk to some pool dealers.

So I only found one nearby company that buries (actually two but the other gets bad install reviews). Instead of getting Sharkline, they install Radiant pools, which are rated for burying. They will completely bury a 24', install the pump, filter, light, skimmer, and add a kool deck.

Pool w/ liner- 6,000
    Accessories (pump etc) - 1,200
    Install (guaranteed & warranteed)- 3,500
    Kool Deck (optional) - 2,500

I don't feel like this is a terrible deal. Pool is up in 1 week, deck a week later. So we'll be ready to swim in May. But it's twice what we had hoped to spend. And we don't get near as many extras we had hoped to buy.

Dealer install Pros: Confidence in the install b/c the pool is built for burying & done by pros. Get a real pool deck b/c pool is flush to earth. Pool built quickly and accurately. Cons: $$$$
    DIY pros: save money & can pay cash Cons: Will take a lot of time to install, beginner error, pool buried only a few feet, wooden deck (which will also need to be built)

I guess this is the dilemma that everyone goes through when they consider pro install vs DIY. Any thoughts?
    Vette, DH, & 2 DDs Our IG AGP Build
    In-ground Radiant 24', 1.5 Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: In a conundrum! DIY or pro install

It's easy to spend someone elses money but I'd go for the pro install. Digging a hole to bury a pool that size is no minor feat. And you don't have to worry if something goes wrong.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Well her contribution won't cover the entire amount. We'd still need several thousand more.

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

That install price looks pretty well in line to me. I spent $2,700 3 years ago to bury my 16x32 oval 2 feet deep as a reference for you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

Those Radiant Metric pools are very nice. If they were not so expensive, I might consider one. Here is a thread about installing one:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

linen, those pools look like great quality. No wonder they are so expensive!

woodyp, we had planned on spending about $2000 on the Sharkline pool with liner. And figured another $1500-2000 for accessories and install costs. The deck would have been another $1000. So even with MIL contributing (not sure of the amount, but I assume another $1k or 2), it's still twice as much as we wanted to spend. And we'd still have to buy things like patio furn, cover, toys etc.

But having it all installed sure does sound heavenly!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Gardiner, ME

We have the same pool, were having my father in law prelevel the site with his Kubota Bucket Loader, then the pool builder is coming onsite, finishing the level, putting down the concrete pads for the verticals, and doing everything else... I am also working with him instead of him hiring his laborer for the day... Original price of install was 1600$, with me working with him and having site pre done, 700-800$ including his materials. Savings going into my deck Our total cost for the project... 2800 for pool, 800$ for install, 1500$ for deck. 5100$... thats what one pool builder/store quote us for just the pool and install... Amazing what you can save when you know what your doing
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.