Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weigh sand wet or dry?

1. Back To Top    #1

Weigh sand wet or dry?

Does it make a difference? I emptied out my sand filter today looking for a possible broken lateral. Turns out, they just weren't pushed all the way down, so the sand (and dust and dirt and stuff I thought was mustard algae) was getting spit back into the pool.

This was likely due to the former owner not reinstalling the lateral assembly correctly after changing the sand a few years ago. So, in order to make sure everything is put together correctly, I'm going to weigh the sand that I've got to make sure that the correct amount is in the filter. I've got a HaywardS180T and there's no fill line on the inside of the barrel, it's just a matter of putting the proper weight in there.

How much weight in water can the sand hold? Do I have to weigh it dry, or is the difference small enough that it doesn't matter?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weigh sand wet or dry?

Sand will hold a lot of water, so I'd weigh it dry. A cuft of sand can hold about 26 lbs of water. I wouldn't go to the trouble of completely drying it but I'd let it sit in the sun a day or two.

A S180T filter holds about 1½ cuft of sand.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Most 5 gallon buckets actually hold about 5.75 gallons, which would be ~0.75 cu. ft. You can test this using a gallon bleach bottle to check yours. Since the water does not increase the volume of the sand, you would need two full 5 gallon buckets (assuming 5.75 to top) of wet sand to have the right amount.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Great info guys, thanks. Ended up being just over two 5-gallon buckets, and given that some was wet and some was dry, I think the average brings it close enough.

Dave, where did you find the ~1.5 cubic ft for the S180T? I was all over that manual and couldn't find anything.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I have my sources.

Really the S180T holds 150 lbs of pool sand and dry pool sand weighs ~100 lbs per cuft, so the filter holds about 1.5 cuft. And I was told there'd be no math!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit