New Pool - First Time Heating

DJP1812 said:
3. Any calculations on how much the temp would drop overnight without a blanket? I've read I could lose up to 50% of the increase.
I'm guessing that your enclosure will really help retain heat (less wind). I'm curious, so please post. Also, with an air-temp of mid-70's most of my fam's water comfort zone was 88F (personally I'm completely happy swimming in 79F), without a brisk wind, I'm thinking you could get by at water temp of 85F.

4:00pm (3 Hours)

Gas Tank: 64% Full (used 13.2 Gallons of LP)
iAqualink Temp: 80
Pool Thermometer: 75 (I really think this thing is not accurate at all)
Heater Temp: 77 ( I assume this is the most accurate reading)

DJP1812 said:
I'm also curious about the speeds for optimal healting.

Techgirl - Have you used the liquid cover? I've heard it might mess with sensors and such. I also have a SWG if that matters. I'm going to get my water tested later today so I can pick it up.

Thanks.

Everything I've read lately seems to imply they're safe - Heatsavr is the brand our community pools here in Canada use (they're a Cdn company but market extensively in the states) - they have a little fish you cut the fin off as well and it releases the fluid for a month or so. Swimmers can't tell and saves money on heating :)

pragmatic said:
DJP1812 said:
3. Any calculations on how much the temp would drop overnight without a blanket? I've read I could lose up to 50% of the increase.
I'm guessing that your enclosure will really help retain heat (less wind). I'm curious, so please post. Also, with an air-temp of mid-70's most of my fam's water comfort zone was 88F (personally I'm completely happy swimming in 79F), without a brisk wind, I'm thinking you could get by at water temp of 85F.

I was hoping I could go for 82... but the wife said no way. She wanted 90, so we settled at 87. I'm thinking as soon as it's 85, she will ask to bring it to 87+.

5:00pm (4 Hours)

Gas Tank: 60% Full (used 18 Gallons of LP)
iAqualink Temp: 82
Pool Thermometer: 80
Heater Temp: 80

Air Temp = 78, was at 81 for a couple of hours.
Pool is now in compete shade from house.

I don't know the optimum speed to run when the heater is on. I just know even at 90% the water coming from the jets is quite hot. I figured passing more water through the heater while its heating would be better than less water through the heater. I know I see a spike in my gas bill when I heat the pool and little difference in electricity. I guess I just figured moving water through it faster would let the heater run less. But I have never really tested to verify the difference.

7:30pm (6.5 Hours)

Heater has been turned off. I will post some temps tonight and early tomorrow too see how much I lose.

Gas Tank: 52% Full (27.6 Gallons used)
iAqualink Temp: 87
Pool Thermometer: 85
Heater Temp: 85

Air Temp at 7:00 pm was 72 with slight wind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
11:00 PM Temp Check (3.5 Hours w/o Heat)

Air Temp: 63 w/ slight wind
iAqualink Temp: 83
Pool Thermometer: 81
Heater Temp: 81

Loss of 4 degrees in 3.5 Hours. I hope this slows down once it gets into the 70s.

techgirl said:
Did you by chance get the liquid cover?

I did not as the local pool store only had one brand and I wanted to do some research. I also want to get a baseline so when I do use it (which I 100% plan on) I can see how effective it is.

If I end up losing all the heat I put in it today, I can just run it tomorrow for 8 hours. I plan on checking it at 6 or 7am. I should have enough gas for the weekend and then some.

Cajun said:
So your getting about 2 degrees per hour? So is your plan to wait till morning and fire it up again?

That's the plan. Ill turn it on at 6 - 9am. Depending on how much I lose overnight. Its going down to the 50's but back up to 80 tomorrow with full sun. The pool gets the sun in the morning so I have that going for me as well.

1:00 AM Temp Check (5.5 Hours w/o Heat)

Air Temp: 59 w/ slight wind and drizzling (or we hit 100% humidity)
iAqualink Temp: 82
Pool Thermometer: 81
Heater Temp: 81

Lost 0 to 1 degree in 2 Hours.

Interesting that it didn't go down that much. Next check will be in the AM.

7:30 AM Temp Check (12 Hours w/o Heat)

Air Temp: 54
iAqualink Temp: 81
Pool Thermometer: 79
Heater Temp: 79

Total of 6 degrees loss in 12 hours. The majority of that coming in the first 3 hours. Heat will go back on now to get the pool to at least 87 for the party.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.