Help with layout please

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
Looking to get our backyard done and need to find some software that's good and can maybe do 3D for free and is easy to use.

Looking to draw this up and then modify to tweak.

2012-10-18%2018.02.27%20-%20Copy.jpg

Would appreciate all comments and suggestions on what to do / change :)

I don't have any suggestions on a drafting program, but in looking at the design I notice a few things. It appears that the only way to go from the House to the pool is to walk around the tabel with the 6 chairs - that might become a bottleneck and you might want more of a direct route to the pool, especially if you have kids. Also, you might want a path from the firepit area to the pool instead of having to walk around. Hard to tell if there is one through the narrow landscaping section or not. If you have kids like mine, they will make their own path through there if you do not provide one.

Looks good!

From the BBB for Beginners thread:
Shaf77 said:
linen said:
Shaf77 said:
So what do I need to do when its done? Start using BBB? Or?
If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.

It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?
I would want it closer to the house, especially if that is where the bathroom is. Another factor I would look at is where will you have the most privacy...unless you have no neighbors or roads around.

Shaf77 said:
For anyone with a long lot (ours is 50' x 240'), where would you put the pool? At the back of the lot? Closer to the house? Anyone have any pics that show such a setup??

Thanks!!!

Frankly, I'd fall in with the "closer to the house" camp. I like to see more of the pool from the house, and I can't really see any direct path to the pool from the house or patio. It's a pretty design for the landscaping, but not sure it's that practical for the pool itself. Now, if you haven't got any children, then it's probably not an issue, but still. I'd do more of the furniture/landscaping on the side, or toward the back of the lot, and pull the pool itself closer to the house.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a swale halfway through our lot and that is causing a lot of headaches with the planning. Also have two big silver maple trees.

I'll take come pics and post them and that way maybe generate some more help and ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would put it close to the house, landscaping/fencing etc. is expensive and the closer to the house the less pressure to develop your lot. It is also really nice to sit around the pool instead of gazing at it in the distance.

I would also consider putting it perpendicular to the house so you don't cut off the back of your lot and it will make it easier to plant trees etc down the one side for privacy. Just my 2 cents :)

I can't recommend a free program sadly. :( My landscaper used a program called Vectorworks which produced a really great plan. It is very advantageous to have a bill of materials so that installers can all quote on the same list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, that is a REALLY long lot. Yes, now I say DEFINITELY put the pool closer to the house. Otherwise it's going to be like hiking to get to it! Waaaaay out there in the distance....is our pool...

You're going to put up fencing too I assume? Do the neighbors get to contribute half of the cost of the fence? Around here it usually goes 60/40 - the 40% person gets the rail side.

Slippery when wet said:
Is that a pergola and outdoor kitchen at the back of the lot? If so I would recommend the grill/kitchen be closer to the house unless you have a fridge/freezer in your plans?

No. The BBQ Island will be at the patio area close to the house. Still deciding if it should go at either one of the spots highlighted below.

The more we look at the original pic of the plan, the more we start to think that maybe that's the best option. The swale and the trees are limiting how far back we go. If we do use the initial drawing, what changes should we make?

Is there too much stone?

Is it functional?

How would we access the back half of the lot since we have to have a fence on all 4 sides of the pool (we'll use 3 sides as the extrior wooden fence and then have a wrought iron fence with a gate between the pool and house...)

2012-10-18%2018.02.27%20Kit.jpg

Shaf77 said:
jumpinjackieflash said:
Can you cut the trees down? I see what you mean, the front part of the lot is smaller than the back half. If you're going large, that is your best option. How often does water flow down that swale?

I guess there is an option of cutting down maybe the first tree.

But what about the swale?

Well if it's a drainage feature that runs through all the yards, you can't block it, can you...How does your plan allow for it when it's full of water? How often does that happen in the summer? Or the winter for that matter.

At our previous house, we had a swale between us and our neighbor that drained both yards very nicely. We went on vacation for 3 weeks - they decided to construct a deck on that side of their house. They blocked the swale, I guess with the concrete they put their deck posts into, and blocked the front where it used to drain out to the street. The first time it rained, our side flooded with all the water from THEIR yard. I was livid. We ended up having to install a drain out to the street when we built the pool.

At least then, their yard flooded and ours didn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.