Total Dissolved Solids questions...

Mar 12, 2013
Cayman Islands
The pool I care for has not been emptied in at least five years. I have no way of testing for TDS. I am concerned about a buildup of cyuranic acid from the tri-chlor I use. No way of testing for that either. About once a week I dump a small amount of the water and refill.
What is the common wisdom concerning TDS, Cyuranic Acid, etc.? Am I doing enough, or should I persude the owner to let me empty the pool at some point and start fresh?

Thanks for your help!

TDS isn't a serious concern, though the individual things that make it up such as CYA or salt can be an issue.

Any idea how much water you replace each week and how much trichlor you use?

Out of 46,000 gallons, I'd say about 500 or so. I use about two 3 inch trichlor pucks per day on average. Am still waiting on an order of chemicals (since September!) so I have no di-chlor to change things up.
The pool is pretty close to the ocean, so we get a fair amount of salt spray when the wind is right. What will the salt do to my pool chemistry?

Thanks!

Adding 2 pucks per day is raising the CYA about 1.5 ppm per day or 9 ppm per week. In order to counteract that by water replacement you need to replace 6000 gallons per week.

Adding Di-chlor will only make the issue worse, not better.

Since you care for pools you really should have a kit that tests for all the common parameters. Especially CYA. You can probably get a K-2006C shipped over there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.