Partial 24" bury with pics

Jul 23, 2012
Hello TFP fans...
Long time listener, first time poster.

Wanted to show our project from last summer. Had a blue pool for 2 seasons which was ok.
3rd season it developed a leak in the top ring, and it had to go.
Spent the winter contemplating a above ground pool. At times, I dont care for the look of a AGP
with a deck all around it. Found the Doughboy line, and figured I could bury it.
Did all the work my self, with the help of a few neighbors, except for the install of the pool.
Took most of the summer, but I am happy with the results.
This summer will be spent getting the landscaping squared away, pool side lighting and music, water spigot
set up. Solar heater will be installed roof top on garage.
Oh, and of course better access to the refrigerator!!

Again, did all work myself minus pool installation. When pool guys came to set up, they told me we did a better job of leveling the pool bottom then their own excavators do!!!!

Saved a TON of cash by doing it, but it did take most of the summer.
For those of you that are thinking about burying a pool, I say GO FOR IT.

Alot to do this summer, and cant wait to get pool open, but the hard part is done, and the fun can begin!!!!!!
If anyone have questions on materials, cost or anything else, please ask away.
Happy floating!!!!!
Kev

Initial excavation
DSCF0043_zps31220942.jpg

Digging down to bury pool
DSCF0046_zpsc5a4e715.jpg

pool bottom grading
DSCF0050_zpsd2ded562.jpg

Pool guys came end of May 2012. It was a VERY warm spring for us in Wisconsin
DSCF0119_zps734951bc.jpg

At end of the day, this is what we ended up with. 24' Doughboy
DSCF0124_zpsc861e2f6.jpg

Forming and pouring retaining walls
pouringwalls_zps21b190b1.jpg

more walls
DSCF0148_zpseaf4b904.jpg

walls poured and ready
wallsup_zpse0591ff0.jpg

slurry poured next to pool, and getting ready for patio pour
DSCF0167_zps29f004fe.jpg

patio poured
justpoured_zps313f13c0.jpg

finishing touches
IMG_0378_zps4b666434.jpg

skimmer placment
IMG_0375_zps24abdfd4.jpg

height of pool top
IMG_0379_zps025d3028.jpg

trench drain to remove water from inside pool area
IMG_0376_zps903d10ba.jpg

result
IMG_0378_zps4b666434.jpg

NICE! I am always amazed at what people can do when they have a vision of what they want, and take their time to get it right.

Question - with the concrete apron filled in all the way to the pool, does it improve the durability of the building components and ultimately how long the pool will last?

Looking good and enjoy!

Best,

Sciz

Thanks everyone.
As far as the concrete next to the pool, I placed 1" pink insulation board against the pool wall, and made a form with an old pool wall to go aournd the pool. This allowed me to pour the slurry mix (weak concrete) about 4 feet tall and about 8 inches thick. In this picture, you can see the top of the old pool wall as a form with the slurry mix poured level on top of that. Then the patio pour sits on top of that. As far the pool lasting, there is no concrete that actually touches the pool wall, so it should last a good long time.

DSCF0171_zpsf77f55d3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.