Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partial 24" bury with pics

1. Back To Top    #1

Partial 24" bury with pics

Hello TFP fans...
    Long time listener, first time poster.

Wanted to show our project from last summer. Had a blue pool for 2 seasons which was ok.
    3rd season it developed a leak in the top ring, and it had to go.
    Spent the winter contemplating a above ground pool. At times, I dont care for the look of a AGP
    with a deck all around it. Found the Doughboy line, and figured I could bury it.
    Did all the work my self, with the help of a few neighbors, except for the install of the pool.
    Took most of the summer, but I am happy with the results.
    This summer will be spent getting the landscaping squared away, pool side lighting and music, water spigot
    set up. Solar heater will be installed roof top on garage.
    Oh, and of course better access to the refrigerator!!

Again, did all work myself minus pool installation. When pool guys came to set up, they told me we did a better job of leveling the pool bottom then their own excavators do!!!!

Saved a TON of cash by doing it, but it did take most of the summer.
    For those of you that are thinking about burying a pool, I say GO FOR IT.

Alot to do this summer, and cant wait to get pool open, but the hard part is done, and the fun can begin!!!!!!
    If anyone have questions on materials, cost or anything else, please ask away.
    Happy floating!!!!!

Initial excavation

Digging down to bury pool

pool bottom grading

Pool guys came end of May 2012. It was a VERY warm spring for us in Wisconsin

At end of the day, this is what we ended up with. 24' Doughboy

Forming and pouring retaining walls

more walls

walls poured and ready

slurry poured next to pool, and getting ready for patio pour

patio poured

finishing touches

skimmer placment

height of pool top

trench drain to remove water from inside pool area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Partial 24" bury with pics

NICE! I am always amazed at what people can do when they have a vision of what they want, and take their time to get it right.

Question - with the concrete apron filled in all the way to the pool, does it improve the durability of the building components and ultimately how long the pool will last?

Looking good and enjoy!

Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

Big project, nice job!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow! That is fantastic!!
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]