Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEWCOMER: Pool Company to Self-service Clean/Maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lewisville, TX

NEWCOMER: Pool Company to Self-service Clean/Maintenance

Greetings TFP,

I am new to the site and recently inherited a pool with my recent home purchase. I'm gathering all the information for my pool still and have been doing a lot of reading on the site over the past couple days. My question is, when is a good time (average) to try and start maintaining the pool myself? I have spoke to the owner of the company that cleans and maintains my pool now as well as a technician that comes out weekly on a few occassions. They have been extremely helpful and seem like a respectable company, but I'm not really sure if they are telling me "everything" I need to know simply to keep my business. I will attend a pool school class next month and continue to read through the large amount of information on this site. I saw in one post that managing the chlorine and pH are the main 2 items to monitor besides the water level and cleaning the skimmers. Of course, I don't have any manuals or information from the previous owner. Any basic tidbits anyone could share? I know my pool if 15K gallons, kidney shaped, DE filter, heater, spa, and I have a clorinator (will check brand).

Thanks in advance!
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa
    Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: NEWCOMER: Pool Company to Self-service Clean/Maintenance

First I would generally skip the pool school class unless it concentrates on pool equipment maintenance, if it is sponsored by a pool store chances are it has about as much to do with educating you about pools as the typical time share weekend has to do with education about wise real estate investment.

Second I would say read the pool school link in the upper right corner of this page a couple of times, order one of the suggested kits, I like the TF-100 (see my signature), once you get the test kit in, practice with it for a few days, see what is going on, and then MAKE A CLEAN BREAK. DON'T try and follow their advice and ours at the same time it is almost certainly doomed to failure, as we strongly feel there is no way to manually dose a pool once per week and maintain proper balance.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

All the thousands of folks on this site ended up here for a reason--------that mainly being what we refer to as being "pool stored". That translates into being sold every chemical under the sun to "fix" a problem caused by them. Those problems run the complete gamut of TOTALLLY inaccurate water testing and not properly understanding the CYA/Chlorine relationship. At the very least, buy yourself one of the test kits we recommend and compare your results against their computer. You WILL be amazed! Welcome to the site and we look forward to assisting you in any way we can. Just ask!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Quote Originally Posted by eap2313
    My question is, when is a good time (average) to try and start maintaining the pool myself?
    Right now, before you ever set foot in a pool store.

You will learn more by reading Pool School on this site and by perusing the threads than you will ever learn from any class.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Chicago, IL

Agree with the others. I was in your shoes last June and I probably spent more money in the first 2 weeks employing "experts" and going to pool stores than I did in the final 3 months taking care of it myself. After spending time on this site, reading pool school a few times, and getting my own test kit, all I ended up buying was a few bottles of bleach each week, a solar cover, and a winter cover. Maybe I had to toss in borax once or twice, but I had total command and understood everything I was putting in. When I had questions, I posted them here and got quick and sound advice. '
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Tallahassee, FL

Yeah what they all said!

Step 1- order test kit (Taylor 100)
    Step 2-find/call around for a source of Liquid chlorine (Ace hardware around here is best)
    Step 3-test and post results here
    Step4- enjoy!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    SW PA

5 minutes a day. It's that simple.

Let us Pool School you!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8
    Sault Ontario

Dittos, a proper test kit, the pool calculator and pool school is all you need.
    If you have problems people here will help you, start asap.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list