Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea

1. Back To Top    #1

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea

Subject quote by Isek Dinesen...

Today we're talking about the next step in the Sciz Milson pool. Almost time for salt.

I did a strip test this morning and came up with app. 500 ppm as a baseline. The chart from the swcg manual calculates to the addition of 304 lbs of salt for the 12,500 gallon pool to obtain the recommended 3400 ppm.

Questions:

1. Should I add the salt in 2 - 3 increments with testing in between? I was thinking 100 lbs at a time.
    2. Should I leave the pump/filter on filter or recirc during the salt addition process?
    3. Should I go ahead and raise the CYA now (prior to salt addition), or wait until the swcg is fully operational and producing chlorine?

Thanks for any tips/tricks/comments/questions in advance.

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the

I would add about 3/4s of the salt, give it 24 hours to mix in, test again and adjust from there.

The pump should be run continuously for 24 hours after each addition of salt.

I would start raising the CYA level now, but not all the way up to the SWG target level. Aim for a CYA level of 60 for the moment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the

Thanks for the tips!

Best,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.