Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating Lights..

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating Lights..

Hey everyone.. New here

Im looking for some advise on lighting for inground pools. Ours is a 16x32 and does not have any wall installed lights.

We had the Glow Buoy for about a season. It worked well but would not hold a charge after the first summer so now we are looking for alternative solutions.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Perhaps something that will light up the entire pool and last for more then 5 months?

Thanks,

Kyle
    24K gal, IG plaster, 1 & 1/2 HP SF 1.10 Challenger pump, 150 sqft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floating Lights..

I'd look for something LED with replaceable batteries. Amazon has one from splash pools but I have no experience with it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought a pair of the Ocean Blue rechargeable floating lights about a year ago (they look similar to the Glow Buoy, but slightly different so is likely not the same exact light under another name), they are still working now, but were only used a handful of times last year. Mostly on pool movie nights to provide minimal pool illumination.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

New season, any updates on pool LED lights? I want some lights I can throw into my pool during a party.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

How about making a bunch of LED throwies? You can make them as floaters as well.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think they'll do well in a salt pool...
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Just for the pool party. You toss them when the battery dies.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have this one from academy sports:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...Fc9j7Aodj2AA6Q

AquaGlow Underwater light show. They say it's a floating disco ball. I paid around $15 I think locally. It is great and my kids love it. It is an LED light with replaceable AA batteries. I have regular pool lights but wanted some fun color. If you have a big pool you will need at least 2 but they probably make more powerful versions.

It is awesome for the price but it only works when it's really dark (around 9 pm in Georgia). It's totally worth it! AND I use it in a salt water pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had a floating light, while it worked I didn't use it other than a couple times. My main problem was it would just hug the wall and go in circles with the current of the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

The glow stick in a balloon really does look pretty neat if you are looking for something temporary! (and it'll maybe set you back $2). Several of these in different colors...we used to do this when I was little, fun to dive for glow sticks too.
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

11. Back To Top    #11

I love the glow stick idea. We will try that!