Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: preopen algae mesh cover

1. Back To Top    #1

preopen algae mesh cover

First post. OK, so just starting our 3rd year of pool ownership, inground vinyl pool in the northwest. 1st year pool was literally a swamp - dead birds, frogs, toads, ducks, swamp gas. We finally got it cleaned up. Last spring we had some work to do. Last fall, I closed the pool and kept it very clean until it iced over. Now with the warm weather it's getting nasty, probably won't open till next month.

I found the floater I put in at closing and put some leftover chlorinating tabs in it and put it back under the cover. I've also put some chlorinating tabs in a 5 gal bucket and fill with water daily, leave it in the sun, and then dump the water only in the pool daily over the mesh cover and then use my net and pole to circulate the water. Watch out for the fumes when you open the bucket. I've knocked my algae down considerably.

Any problems with doing this???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: preopen algae mesh cover

The biggest problems are that you're pouring chlorine in an uncirculating pool so it can settle and might possibly cause problems. Stirring it's a good thing though. Also, pouring it on the cover probably isn't doing it any favors. Second by using tablets you're also raising your CYA a lot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it better to just let it turn into a green swamp in the spring until opening? If not then what does everyone else do? The fc level is still non-existent, I'll have to check the cya. My wife takes care of the chemicals in the summer. My pool doesn't have a heater. I use a solar cover, but we won't be able to swim til about the end of May and even then it'll be brisk. Stupid solar cover is another issue I need to deal with. Kidney shaped pool and a standard reel doesn't work well with diving board on one end and stairs/rail on the other.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cnatsu1
    Is it better to just let it turn into a green swamp in the spring until opening? If not then what does everyone else do?
    We close in the fall at shock level, so that there is FC in the water when we open up in the spring. How did you maintain your pool last summer? What kind of testing did you do?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Forgive my ignorance, but even at shock level, if I closed my pool 6 months ago how can there be any chance that there is any free chlorine in my pool now??

My pool was crystal clear last fall when I closed it. Bought the winterizing kit and closed pool with the mesh cover.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry, didn't realize you had a mesh cover. I use a solid cover, and the cold water plus lack of sunlight slows organic growth down to nothing, so the FC loss is so slow, there's still plenty in the spring when the pool is opened.

Best guess is that even though the water was clear at closing, there was still something in it. We can help if we had a little more information, though. Tell us how you tested and maintained the pool last year.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Good mesh covers are supposed to keep the sunlight, out but by allowing precipitation through all winter it'll use up all the FC and you'll possibly have algae when you open. Since I also use a solid cover, I can't help with the mesh cover issues.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

My wife takes care of the chemicals during the summer. We used an opening kit last spring; chlorinating tabs, baking soda, borax, and ph up during the year, some clarifier in the spring. My wife said she measures chlorine, calcium, alkaline, and ph.

My algae was all down on top of my cover today, so I didn't dump in another bucket of my home-made chlorine solution. Can't remember if it's been 4 or 5 days now. I was going to go buy some of the heavy duty liquid chlorine from one of the big box stores, but thought about making my own and did that. Did use my net to circulate the water on top and pick up whatever little pieces I could. My mesh cover goes from having just barely any water on top to a couple of feet of water on top in other places.

Hope to be able to afford a safety cover next go round.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have the same problem, Mesh cover lets the sunlight thru and algea blow up. ALso trying to figure out a solution.

will the 60% algecide at closing stop this?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

10. Back To Top    #10

How did you make your own chlorine?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

11. Back To Top    #11

just put some leftover chlorinating tabs from last year in a 5 gal bucket and let it sit for a day and then dumped the liquid portion only into the pool. The first couple of times I dumped it into another container before dumping into the pool, but then I just started dumping it into the pool out of the five gallon bucket as I walked around the pool. I made sure to stir things up afterward with my pool net. WATCH OUT FOR THE FUMES WHEN YOU OPEN THE BUCKET.

12. Back To Top    #12

The biggest drawback to that is that you're also adding CYA. If you can stand that much CYA that's fine, but just be aware that you're doing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I would suggest switching to bleach. I do not see a current CYA level mentioned, and you did not mention how many tabs you used. This method could put you over the edge as far as CYA is concerned.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

14. Back To Top    #14

I only dumped like 5 buckets (5 days) in until the algae died. I'm obviously not a pool expert, hence my original post. However, I have also not received any alternative 'expert' advice as to any other solutions and probably would have spent a fair amount of money on liquid chlorine that I made for free with what I had on-hand.

15. Back To Top    #15

Until you can test your CYA, you should stop using the tabs. They will increase CYA, which will in turn increase the level of CL needed to kill off the algae. I don't know if it was mentioned yet or not, but to clear the pool up, you will need a good test kit. You should get either the TF-100 or K-2006, which can be found at tftestkits.net. As to not receiving "expert" advice on what to do, may I suggest reading up in pool school a few times, and also reading a few clearing algae threads. Most of the info you need can be found there.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

16. Back To Top    #16

your chlorine becomes less effective as the CYA raises, thus needed more chlorine to get rid of the algae

I have the same problem, dumped in about 12 bottles of liquid chlorine in 2 bottle doses testing every hour till I got shock level and fc. now just white and milky, used my electric robot to stir the water up.

you would have better off using bleach/liquid chlorine, next year to remedy the situation, I'm going to buy a solid cover to put under the mesh cover.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater