Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding pool skimmers in new build

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding pool skimmers in new build

We are building a 14x30 (15,700 gallons) gas-heated rectangle pool with salt water in Kansas City with 4ft shallow end and 6ft deep end with auto cover. My builder has allotted 4-5 jets, 1 skimmer and 1 bottom drain. However, he's telling me they've started shying away from bottom drains because without one there is less leak chance, better suction and less obstacles for auto cleaner. He's recommending we drop the bottom drain and go with 1 or 2 skimmers total. He acknowledges there might be a subtle temperature difference in water depth without the pool drain but it won't be too severe since the deep end is only 6ft. Anyone have thoughts on skipping a pool drain? Will I need to add a 2nd skimmer or can I get by with just 1 skimmer if I don't have a pool drain?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Question regarding pool skimmers in new build

Many pools do not have floor drains. I think I would want 2 skimmers though ... one on the prevailing downwind side and the other opposite. You can always point the return jets down some to better mix the deeper water.

Are you trying to save money by not getting the 2nd skimmer? Because I would think the builder would just swap out the drain for a skimmer at no cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I have a bottom drain and I like it. There's no temperature stratification and a lot of times I can just use the brush to sweep stuff towards the drain and let it get sucked away rather than messing with the vacuum. If you have an auto cleaner, it's probably unnecessary.

On the other hand, if you need to drain down the level when closing or you foresee Calcium buildup problems, a separately valved bottom drain would be a big help emptying the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

No cost concern. My wife is leery of a second skimmer because there will be a 2nd plastic cover on the decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

do a search on custom skimmer lids
    McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12 scuppers on 12 x 31 raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8