We are putting in a new pool and I have visited this forum several times in the last month. I really don't like the idea of chlorine and every time I think I have found an alternative I find a message here bashing it with real science.
So here is where I am, we are getting a UV light, Delta brand. I realize that I need a residual sanitizer with this and chlorine is the most common/quickest/cost effective solution. I also understand with proper maintenance chloramines should not be an issue, and that my biggest concerns are probably with chloramines and not chlorine. But, I still hate the idea of using chlorine - I am one of those totally crunchy people who makes her own deodorant.
That being said, the only other sanitizer that seems to make sense is peroxide. I realize it is not EPA approved as a sanitizer and it kills slower than chlorine, but with the UV plus peroxide, would that work?
Also, I found pool naturally moss. I spoke to them and they said the moss cuts down the breeding ground for microbes and therefore makes less work for your residual sanitizer. I read on here that if you are using chlorine properly then you don't need the moss. But, what if I am doing the UV and peroxide, then would the moss be helpful?
I don't want to make my family sick, and reading this forum has certainly educated me, but as my last ditch effort at finding something that I feel good about, would this work? Thank you!