Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding solar to an easytouch system

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vernon, BC Canada - Pool is in Maricopa AZ (currently a holiday place)

Adding solar to an easytouch system

I have an easytouch 4 controller and was wondering about the cost of adding solar. We have a spa with a gas heater and used the gas when we were there at spring break, but I was curious about whether already having the easytouch reduces the cost of solar somewhat?

Our pool is relatively small (about 576 sq ft surface, 12500 gallons) and we have a southwest (mainly south) facing back yard with lots of roof space right above the control panel. My understanding is that we are looking for solar panels with at least 80% coverage.

If anyone has experience with adding solar I'd sure appreciate a brief explanation of what goes into adding it

Thanks so much!
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Adding solar to an easytouch system

Well, the solar controller actually is one of the least expensive components that you may already have. I think a stand-alone controller is less than $100.

You would need to add a solar 3-way valve ($60) and an actuator ($100) and at least 1 more temperature sensor ($25?) plus the plumbing.

The big expense is the panels and the installation and it is not uncommon for this to be in the $4000-$5000 price range.

I put my manual system in for ~$1500 by buying used panels and installing them myself. I have yet to add the sensors, controller, and actuator.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!