i may never get the pool balance thing

Apr 18, 2012
ph was low so i added baking soda to raise ph instead of soda ash - now ph is good but alkalinity is very high-stained pool-i have 24 lbs of ascobic acid to remove stain --should i lower my alkalinity first or will the ascobic acid lower my alkalinity and help me get balanced-or should i use muradic acid to lower first?

It may take a bit of reading and fiddling with things to get used to what does what, but you'll get it.

Posting a set of test results is better than telling us it's very high. we like to see numbers.

As J said, lower the TA first then perform the AA treatment.

Well, being direct, if you have the ability to test TA, but you don't want to "waste" the reagent, why do you have the kit.....that's what it's for.

We can assist you getting your pool correct but you will have to help yourself first by reporting some accurate test results. It seems you have the capability right at your fingertips but don't want to use it. Am I missing something?

You are going to have to lower the TA using acid. See: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity. Also, your CYA is probably well above 100, and your FC is too low. You have 2 options: replace at least 50% of your water, or keep your chlorine at a MINIMUM of 8 all the time. I would suggest diluting a sample of pool water 50/50 with tap water, doing the CYA test again, and doubling those results. The problem with keeping the CYA high, is if you get algae (which you could already have) and you will need to shock a at least CL=25 ppm.

Lower your pH to 7.4 using muriatic acid. Do that first. Your TA will come down simultaneously, although, if it is truly 800 (I don't think so), you will have to lower TA further using the method describe in Pool School

So you performed the TA test and it took 80 drops of R-009 to get the color change, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. Poor it slowly in front of a return jet (deep end if you have one) and leave the pump on for at least an hour.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Don't know which test kit you have, but on the Taylor K-2006, it gives instructions on how to do the TA test using less water and reagent if you expect a high result. Could it be your 0009 is old/bad?

Your explanation is a little unclear; It took 4 drops to go from green to clear, but then another 76 drops to turn red, equalling the "80" drops you earlier stated?? The alkalinity test uses the 3 different reagents, 0007, 0008, 0009.
I have a relatively small pool with vinyl liner and have also been adding muriatic acid about 6 ounces at a time. But I think you need to get an accurate read on the test before adding the acid. It is a caustic substance. (Be careful to not inhale or splash.) Read the bottle. Both pH and TA are slowly coming down.

When doing the TA test, you shouldn't wait for the sample to turn red. Anything more or less red, pink, yellow, or clear counts as the end of the TA test. If I am following correctly, that means your TA level is 40 (four drops to turn clear).

thedreemer said:
the four drops are x 25 so 100 -- i added 30 lbs of baking soda -- and no at 80 drops never turned red-kinda yellow rusty
According to pool calculator, 480 0z (30 lbs) of baking soda will raise TA by 56 and raise pH by .11

So something isn't calculating right.

38,000 gallons is a HUGE pool. Is your pool really that big? Because if it isn't, you've been overdosing it and then of course you will be having all sorts of trouble trying to get things balanced.

On the TA test - is it emerald green when it starts, or more blue? If FC is high, the test will go more blue > yellow than green > pink. The key is that it changes colors. There could be a problem with static electricity on the bottle tip. Try wiping the tip of the R-009 with a damp paper towel before you test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.