Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I don't know where to start

1. Back To Top    #1

I don't know where to start

I bought an Intex 15 x 36 frame pool. I've been reading the web about how to keep your pool clean and its such a mess for me. Then i saw the swg and bought it.

For clarification I haven't filled the pool with water because I dont know what chemicals to add and I saw how to maintain you swg but it says raise your ph, cya... Etc which is a total mess for me i dont understand. Please someone who can help me understand these things step to step. I just want to swim in this hot weather. I just dont where to start ((()
    3K gal, AG vinyl,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I don't know where to start

Welcome to tfp, Franciscodd

It can be a little overwhelming at first, but you will pick it up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Franciscodd
    Please someone who can help me understand these things step to step. I just want to swim in this hot weather. I just dont where to start ((()
    It might be best to start without the swg and get used to maintaining the chemistry, then add the swg. This is a good starting guide in pool school: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide

Once you get that figured out then you can start to think about the swg, and this pool school article will help: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator

Make sure you post any question you have!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

As stated above, the first step is read read read ... lots of information in Pool School to help you understand the chemistry.

You will also want to order one of the recommended test kits, as that is the best investment you can make so that the maintenance goes as smoothly as possible.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

As suggested,, read,read,read,-- you'll get it. It's not hard and quite enjoyable to do your own work! I'm realitivily new at it too but it'll come together for you quickly. Above all get tthe test kit,without it you're "shooting in the dark". You're in the right place for help,these guys helped me all along the way.
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well that helped me a bit with the brainstorm, tomorrow I'll go to the pool store and buy all the chemicals. One question can I fill the pool today and add the chemicals tomorrow?
    3K gal, AG vinyl,

6. Back To Top    #6

I would still recommend ordering a test kit, but your pool is one of the smaller ones where it is not difficult to drain and refill if things get out of hand. Personally, I would want the kit to know that my water was safe. Also realize the kits we recommend are rarely available locally.

Do not let the pool store sell you any chemicals that you do not need. You will know what you need by reading here.

It is not going to take long to fill the pool, so I would just wait until the morning to fill and then you will be ready to add the chemicals immediately.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, I will only buy the things that are listed in the page you linked me. The problem with the kits is the shipping since I'm not in the USA customs are very pocky with those things.
    3K gal, AG vinyl,

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Franciscodd
    The problem with the kits is the shipping since I'm not in the USA customs are very pocky with those things.
    Well, how would we know that

Please add your location and pool info as described here: pool-school/read_before_you_post
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, I filled my pool and did some simple test that I got in the pool store (I bought the Taylor in amazon). It said that the pH was in 7.6 and the chlorine was in 0.3. I bought chlorine from them and I has CYA built in with it, is it safe?
    3K gal, AG vinyl,

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you be more specific about the chlorine? Since this is a new fill, you should not have any CYA in the water until you add it. And if you are going to run a SWG you will want the CYA up around 70ppm.

Depending on the chlorine you got, it is certainly safe, but it may take awhile to raise the CYA. It would be faster and simpler to understand if you add the chlorine and CYA separately.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

The only downside to the chlorine you bought might be that it contains copper. Some forms do. If it does, you'll want to take it back and get something without copper.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit