How much sun does your pool get?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
My pool is staked out and painted waiting for excavation.

The pool gets full sun from sun up until around 4 pm, at which time shade starts to hit the shallow end. Half the pool is in shade by 5:30ish. I will get more full sun as summer comes and the sun gets higher in the sky.

Just curious how much others get.

Our's apparently doesn't get enough. Even during the hottest summer months (August and September), the pool still needs some heating to keep it warm enough. I estimate that during peak summer months, the pool probably gets 4-6 hours of full sunlight. After this, the trees (mostly my neighbor's) block most of the sunlight. Without any heating, the pool typically settles in the mid-70's. I will need to get a solar cover to remedy this, but definitely no risk of needing a heat pump for our pool!

Mine gets full sun till around 4:30-5:30 (depending on location in the pool) in summer. Let me tell you by that time i'm glad to be in the shade. Last summer, my first, my pool regularly reached 94 degrees. Part of the reason is it is shallow, no deep end, the other reason (debatable) is when not in use is is covered (yes all the time). When i roll back the cover for say the first time after getting home from work the top 12" of water can be 98-99 degrees (this year i will measure temp accurately).

I made some cool pool coolers (many threads here about the subject) that screw into my returns and spray water into the pool, the falling water feels really cold, i think i was getting close to an 8 degree temp drop (i caught the water and took it's temp).

ssgumby said:
My pool is staked out and painted waiting for excavation.

The pool gets full sun from sun up until around 4 pm, at which time shade starts to hit the shallow end. Half the pool is in shade by 5:30ish. I will get more full sun as summer comes and the sun gets higher in the sky.

Just curious how much others get.

At least 10 hours if not more.

We get full sun mornings, but when the sun starts to get some height our porch starts to shade the sun shelf which is in full shade at mid day (ironic eh?)
As the afternoon progresses the porch casts a longer shadow putting the pool in full shade by mid-afternoon.

For the first three years...from sunup till 5:30. Took down a tree end of last year so the gals could have an extra 1/2 hour or so of "full" sun. the things I do.................

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.