Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-surfacing pool - should the pool builder do the startup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-surfacing pool - should the pool builder do the startup?

I thought I had settled on a pool builder to resurface my 25 year old pool. Planning on going with Noble Custom Exposed Aggregate in Mediterranean... but, the pool builder just let me know that he will not be interested in doing the start up on the chemicals/brushing. He is about an hour away and said that he doesn't have a guy that he can dedicate to coming here every day.

I really wouldn't have thought that much of it if I hadn't been reading here, but my gut is telling me that is a problem. Is this a problem? I am able to do the brushing, but the pool is new-to-me and I don't know about trying to keep the chemicals in line on my own for that crucial period.

Is this a deal breaker or am I over reacting? Thanks for your thoughts!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-surfacing pool - should the pool builder do the start

Don't panic, it's no big deal. Check with the builder and see if they have a set of recommended levels that have to be met for the warranty. If they do, get a copy of them and get out your good test kit and you'll be set. Also see if they require a pool store test to ensure warranty.

Once you have the instructions, keep a record of every action you take (brushing, testing, adjusting, etc.) so you have proof.

Like I said, it's no big deal. It's really just normal maintenance with extra brushing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much. I am going to talk to him to see what kind of numbers I will have to have to make him happy. I appreciate your help because I was ready to write this guy off over it.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

After reading stories here, I think I'd prefer the way your builder suggests. No one cares more about your pool than you. And you'll avoid the one-size-fits-all method of treatment that a lot of builders use.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I talked to the pool builder and he said that I would have to contract the start up with another company in order for anyone to be responsible for any problems with the new surface. When I questioned him about who would be responsible him or the other guy, I got a lot of himming and hawing... leading me to believe that no one would be responsible. So I think this means I start over again looking for someone to resurface. I never dreamed this would be so hard.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I'd back away from that one. If he provided you with a set of parameters that you could maintain that would be different, but sounds like once he's done, he's done and wants to lay whatever happens on someone else.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit