Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Different Kinds of Acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Different Kinds of Acid?

On poolcalculator.com

Its shows different kinds of acid. For example 15.7% 10 degree Baume or 31.45% - 20 degree baume

What does this mean? Are these different types you can buy?
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Different Kinds of Acid?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixtx
    On poolcalculator.com

Its shows different kinds of acid. For example 15.7% 10 degree Baume or 31.45% - 20 degree baume

What does this mean? Are these different types you can buy?
    It's just how diluted they are. Generally, the half strength stuff doesn't cost half as much, so the stronger is a better buy. The weaker stuff is usually marketed as "fumeless" or something. When you buy acid, see what it says on the box or jug. Then you can pick the right one for the calculator to use.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

ah okay, thanks for the heads up
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

4. Back To Top    #4

My preference is for the 15.70% product. Where I'm at, it's the identical net price compared to the 31.45% product, but I find it less scary to handle (almost no acrid fumes) and after what I've been through experiencing the delicacy of my colored plaster, pouring less aggressive chemicals into my pool has become a high priority. An accidental spill on my concrete deck may be less damaging too. Obviously on the other hand it takes up more room and creates more waste containers. I buy pool specific 15.70% Kem-tek brand from the Home Depot garden department but the more expensive paint department version is called "Safer" muriatic acid because of its reduced strength.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.