Pleasantly Surprised

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
Well we made it through winter, it's officially spring in Hotlanta, and it's gonna hit 80 next week! AND it just so happens my kids are going to my parents house for the week! Time for a Vacation at home, and time to heat up the pool for the week.

Per the installers instructions I've been opening my pool cover ~1 times per week since we closed up shop in Oct. They told me that 9 times out of 10 issues with Autocovers not opening/closing properly are from lack of use during winter. I turned off the SWG and the pool only circulated this winter when the freeze protection kicked on.

Yesterday i opened it up and threw in the shark, it collected 1 bag of various debris and that's all that was in the water. Around the waterline, and along the sides (in some spots) is a very thin layer of green algae, I hadn't noticed it on my weekly openings, but non the less it is there. I dumped in what bleach i had on hand and cranked up the SWG, will be getting bleach today and doing it proper. The water is clear, we'll see what happens to it when i brush the sides.

At the end of last season my heat pump stopped working due to low flow, so i need to take apart and clean my D.E. filter as back-washing and re-charging wouldn't fix the issue.

Overall i'm really happy with the Autocover, yes i had to put a pump on it to pump off water, and yes it's dirty with leaf stains etc. now, and yes i have to scrub it and apply a UV protectant, but the kids and dogs were safe, the thing makes a great trampoline, and the pool should be swim able as soon as i can heat it up.

Glad to hear this!!!
My pool is crytal clear and ready for warm weather as well.......I'm just south of Macon in Warner Robins.....I still think it will be a couple months unless I get a solar cover- just feel like Im going to lose all the heat with the cool nights.

Im curious to how well your heater held up with your salt water system.

jhalpinjr said:
I'm looking at getting on emyself. I think I've settled on a gulfstream with a titanium heater core. I just wish I could find out more people that have them and their thoughts.
Get ready for swim season- its almost here!!!!!!!!!

Mine is a heat pump. Would I buy it again? No, I would buy the slightly more expensive model that cools as well. I went through the whole gas vs. heat pump thing, and decided on heat pump primarily because we were getting the cover. If I attempt to heat It up for next week, current temp is 59, it will probably run for 3-4 straight days to get it to 88. It will gain like 10-15 degrees during the day, and then lose 8-10 at night, with the cover on. For this type of situation a gas heater would be much quicker. For keeping it a constant temp in the summer this works great, we’ll see how it works in May…..

Tested the Chemicals last night Chlorine around 15 (I've got some algae) no CC, TA 120-130, PH 7.6, CA 80-90 and CYA maybe 30.....

My sticker came off my CYA squirt/mixing bottle, is it 15 ML pool water and 15 ML solution?

Cleaned the D.E. Filter yesterday, man was it nasty! I backwashed it, but also to remove 2" of rainwater from pool, still full of greasy caked on D.E., dog hair, people hair, our red soil, bristles from pool brushed that got ruined from UV's......

NASTY

IMG_6191_zps032880f6.jpg

So re-installed it and added 6 lbs. of DE and reset the pressure gauge needles so i know when to backwash.

Turned on the heat pump, gonna see if i can heat it up for tonight (not likely) or by Tuesday, it's going to get to 82 on Tuesday., 81 on Wednesday.

So last night it was 58 degrees, 12 hours later this morning it is 61 degrees. I was actually happy to see the 3 degree gain, i was thinking it was just going to hold it at 58. The real test will be to see what temp it is tonight at 7. I need to see a 10 degree rise by then, hopefully it will be more.

IMG_6209_zps28e6f82d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Harley,

That is a lot of heat! Do you have a solar cover over your pool (in addtion to your autocover)?

I went with the heat and cool unit....It arrived last night....I will be doing the install DIY... Im fairly excited to get this bad boy running!!!!

Autocover only. Don't know how i could do both. You'd think someone would make a autocover that is more insulated.

I haven't seen any data on heat loss/gain comparing the two. I also don't know if i gain more heat with the autocover on vs. no cover when i'm getting direct sunlight. I do know that the top 12"of water in the pool can get in the high 90's in summer, most noticeable when pump has no been running and you just open the cover and get in.

Not much insulating value to solar covers, imo the bubbles really just help keep it on top of the water. Most important thing is the solar covers "seals" the water surface and stops evaporation, which can really cool a pool down fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.