In-ground Concrete Pool

Well, it's begun. Been draining since 930 this morning, I am estimating it will be near 75% empty sometime next century..lol. Very small sump pump. Using the pool pump would have been easier, but oh well.

Lots of bullfrogs in there. :lol:

Attachments

• 64309_481933298543892_1301726736_n.jpg
    64309_481933298543892_1301726736_n.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 44
linen said:
Have you confirmed that your ground water level is appropriately low? I would hate to see your pool pop up...then you would have a real mess. Maybe you are doing a partial drain/refill?

I'm only draining it down to the shallow end, leaving the deep end full. Have no idea what the water table is. I'm hoping that there will be enough water left to keep the pool from up heaving. If It does, I'll post pictures of me filling it in.

I guess my concern is hearing from folks down florida way that say they can't drain at all because of their water table is basically just below the surface of the ground. You maybe already know this, but think of your pool like a concrete boat (they had these competitions in schools sometimes). Concrete boats are heavy, but if they are lighter then then amount of water they are displacing, they will still float even if they have some water in them. In the case of a pool even lowering the water level a couple of feet could "lighten" it enough to make the remaining water and concrete lighter then the weight of the volume of water the outside of the pool shell displaces.

linen said:
I guess my concern is hearing from folks down florida way that say they can't drain at all because of their water table is basically just below the surface of the ground. You maybe already know this, but think of your pool like a concrete boat (they had these competitions in schools sometimes). Concrete boats are heavy, but if they are lighter then then amount of water they are displacing, they will still float even if they have some water in them. In the case of a pool even lowering the water level a couple of feet could "lighten" it enough to make the remaining water and concrete lighter then the weight of the volume of water the outside of the pool shell displaces.

Most of FL is in a drought. The water table is extremely low in some areas. It rained a little last night and was suppose to most of today, yet I haven't seen any. Still draining, I stopped the pump last night around 10pm and started it again this morning. Almost at target level. I been scooping out leaves all day.

Attachments

• 540715_482492565154632_473479019_n.jpg
    540715_482492565154632_473479019_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 27
I drained the pool 3 more inches from the last picture. Since then, I have pressure washed the sides, and scooped out everything I could get with the net. The sides were and still are a rusty color. Even with 2400psi pressure washer, this was difficult to remove. Didn't get all of it, but did notice when splashed with chlorine it turned whiter.

Hoping once pool is refilled, and shocking the heck out of it, will help clear it up even more. Probably be awhile before I post again with an update.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.