Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old St. Louis Brick coping??

1. Back To Top    #1

Old St. Louis Brick coping??

Does anyone have experience with using Old St. Louis bricks for pool coping? Especially with salt water pools?? I went by the local brick company this morning to get pricing on them and they do not recommend using the old bricks as pool coping. They say the salt water deteriates the bricks and they start flaking and coming apart. Has anyone else experienced this??

Thanks,
    Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old St. Louis Brick coping??

Many kinds of brick do deteriorate when used as coping, with or with out salt, but faster with salt. I don't know anything about Old St. Louis bricks in particular however.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know about old St. Louis brick, but given my experience I would not use Old Chicago brick around a pool, even in semi-sheltered locations it flakes and deteriorates, also with old brick you end up with a mix and match source where some individual bricks may / will deteriorate faster than those around it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys,
    That's kinda what the brick company said. They also said the newer bricks are better made and kiln fired and can withstand the condtions around pools. Personally they just dont look as good.

Thanks again!!
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana