Sealing natural stone

Terry

Jul 8, 2008
Dallas, Tx
Anybody used any of the Dry Treat products and want to comment on their experience? I am considering 40SK with Stain Proof Original for the OK flagstone coping, but reviews on any of their products are encouraged.

I have a moss rock waterfall/ spa spillover that I'd like to seal, but Dry Treat doesn't recommend their products for submerged applications- what products are being using to seal a moss rock waterfall? The bottom 6" or so will be completely submerged.

I also have travertine pavers going in, so any sealing recommendations for those are welcome, too!

No SWCG to begin with, but would like to seal as if it were so if I convert in the future the sealer will be up to par.

TIA

Anybody used any of the Dry Treat products and want to comment on their experience? I am considering 40SK with Stain Proof Original for the OK flagstone coping, but reviews on any of their products are encouraged.

I have a moss rock waterfall/ spa spillover that I'd like to seal, but Dry Treat doesn't recommend their products for submerged applications- what products are being using to seal a moss rock waterfall? The bottom 6" or so will be completely submerged.

I also have travertine pavers going in, so any sealing recommendations for those are welcome, too!

No SWCG to begin with, but would like to seal as if it were so if I convert in the future the sealer will be up to par.

TIA

Yes, I'm using DryTreat 40SK sealer with OK flagstone coping. Thus far, it works as advertised with water beading on the surface and not soaking in. This is a new install, so I'll be able to provide a recommendation after more time passes... Note, the stone absorbs a LOT of sealer. I'm more than 5 gallons into this pool which is a free-form 110 linear feet surround, plus spa, and a raised bond beam with two sheers.

Researched lots of options, with DuPont StoneTech and Dry-Treat being the two most frequently referenced. The Dry-Treat (~$220-$235 per gallon on Amazon) product generally costs more than StoneTech (~$145 on Amazon), but Dry-Treat should last up to 15 years, whereas StoneTech should last up to 5 years. Dry-Treat is solvent-based. StoneTech is water-based. Dry-Treat requires 3 weeks to cure. StoneTech cures in 72 hours.

Some people re-seal every year or every few years. Once you start with a product, you should stick with it. If you seal with StoneTech, don't switch to a different product later.

Reactions: Browneyed Beauty
Madgunner, did you use one or two coats with the Dry Treat?

Terry, what did you decide to use for the submerged areas? I also plan to have rock waterfall, and am looking for the best product to use for that as well as my flagstone coping (not submerged obviously). Whatever you went with, are you happy with it, being 2 years ago now?

Each time I applied Dry Treat, kept going until the rock wouldn't soak up more. Apply a coat, move on to other stones, come back in about 10~15 minutes, apply more, return to other stones, come back in about 30~45 minutes, apply more. When it starts to pool on the surface and no longer is soaking into the rock, time to wipe off all the excess with clean rags and call this first 'coat' or treatment completed. These first sessions were during the cold with temps around 50~60 degrees, lows at night not below 45 F (although there were some nights that dipped into the 30's more than a week after applying).

Maybe too much of a good thing, but I waited a couple months and did it again, with a bit warmer weather. All of the stones accepted more Dry Treat, but not nearly as much as the first time. All of the OK coping around my pool now has at least two full treatments/sessions/coats applied. The waterfall area of the spa into the pool has three treatments.

Optimally, apply Dry Treat when the stones are warm (below 80 but above 50 F; sweet spot would be warm spring or fall where temps range between 60~80 F each day), and be sure to keep going until the stones are unable to soak up more sealant. Some stones are much more porous than others, and will take more sealant to properly protect. Manufacturer directions don't call for repeat sessions.

If you don't have 3+ weeks to wait for curing, apply the DuPont/StoneTech product(s), but be prepared to re-apply the products again in the future.

I'm now going through the first summer with my pool and its stone coping... I'll know more after the hot Texas sun bakes these rocks at 90~110+ if they're still waterproof by fall. If no re-treatment is needed, this was a great success. If not, I'll stick to DuPont going forward for the lower cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.