How to calculate how many gallons in the pool

Feb 26, 2012
I have a very uniquely shaped pool. This is a survey of what the shape of my pool is.

I have an original work order for the building of the pool (2007 - I am not the original owner of the home, moved in after the fact) These dimensions are listed for the pool:
- pool size: 18-28 ; Per Ft: 77 ; SA: 400 ; Depth 3-6'. There is no listin gon this same document as to how many gallons this pool is.

Any guesses or ideas how I can figure out how many gallons this pool is?

Attachments

• PoolShape.JPG
    PoolShape.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 154
Okay, lets see if this provides a bit more info.

The total depth of the spa is ~3ft, with a 12" wide seat all the way around thats probably 18" tall.

The new image shows a line, everything to the right of the line is 3ft-ish then from the line is gradually goes down to 6ft at its deepest.

Attachments

• PoolShape2.jpg
    PoolShape2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 115
The longest dimensions is 28 ft, the widest width is 18 ft

the spa is 7 ft wide

below is the only info listed on an original spec sheet of the pool
pool size: 18-28 ; Per Ft: 77 ; SA: 400 ; Depth 3-6'

That is about what I get as well.

Start with that and use poolcalculator to calculate the effects of how much chemicals you add. If you are consistently under or over dosing, then you will know to adjust the volume a bit. Know the exact volume is not all the important if you test, dose and re-test as we suggest.

I used the bottom of poolcalculator.com: oval pool 16' x 28' x 3.5'

Like I said, it really does not have to be exact and you can get a better idea by looking at historical chemical additions and measure their effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help. This whole time i've been going on a 13k gal pool assumption. I've only started trying to do the chemicals myself in the last week so I havent done much. I had a service before and never thought to ask them how many gallons they thought it was.

I do a down and dirty model of the pool in autocad based on the measurements you give and some guestimations and come up with a size.

Don't be surprised that your pool isn't as big as you thought it was. They almost never are. PB's tend to exaggerate pool sizes. I'd really be surprised if yours makes 10,000 gallons.

As JB mentioned, using a good test kit you can test and add a known amount of a chem and test again in 30 minutes and adjust the size in the pool calc until you get consistent at hitting the target you shoot for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.