Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to calculate how many gallons in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How to calculate how many gallons in the pool

I have a very uniquely shaped pool. This is a survey of what the shape of my pool is. .

I have an original work order for the building of the pool (2007 - I am not the original owner of the home, moved in after the fact) These dimensions are listed for the pool:
    - pool size: 18-28 ; Per Ft: 77 ; SA: 400 ; Depth 3-6'. There is no listin gon this same document as to how many gallons this pool is.

Any guesses or ideas how I can figure out how many gallons this pool is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to calculate how many gallons in the pool

We need more dimensions. Depth of spa, depth of seat in spa, where the pool is deepest, etc.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a read of this thread it has some good suggestions. http://www.troublefreepool.com/estim...me-t11772.html
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, lets see if this provides a bit more info.

The total depth of the spa is ~3ft, with a 12" wide seat all the way around thats probably 18" tall.

The new image shows a line, everything to the right of the line is 3ft-ish then from the line is gradually goes down to 6ft at its deepest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

5. Back To Top    #5

What is the longest dimension of the pool?
    What is the widest dimension of the pool?
    What is the diameter of the spa?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The longest dimensions is 28 ft, the widest width is 18 ft

the spa is 7 ft wide

below is the only info listed on an original spec sheet of the pool
    pool size: 18-28 ; Per Ft: 77 ; SA: 400 ; Depth 3-6'

7. Back To Top    #7

I get about 10,000 gallons for both.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

That is about what I get as well.

Start with that and use poolcalculator to calculate the effects of how much chemicals you add. If you are consistently under or over dosing, then you will know to adjust the volume a bit. Know the exact volume is not all the important if you test, dose and re-test as we suggest.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

10k gallons, thats not big at all. I know I have a smaller sized pool but that doesnt seem that big at all. Would you mind giving me a synopsis as to how you came to that number?

10. Back To Top    #10

I used the bottom of poolcalculator.com: oval pool 16' x 28' x 3.5'

Like I said, it really does not have to be exact and you can get a better idea by looking at historical chemical additions and measure their effects.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help. This whole time i've been going on a 13k gal pool assumption. I've only started trying to do the chemicals myself in the last week so I havent done much. I had a service before and never thought to ask them how many gallons they thought it was.

12. Back To Top    #12

I do a down and dirty model of the pool in autocad based on the measurements you give and some guestimations and come up with a size.

Don't be surprised that your pool isn't as big as you thought it was. They almost never are. PB's tend to exaggerate pool sizes. I'd really be surprised if yours makes 10,000 gallons.

As JB mentioned, using a good test kit you can test and add a known amount of a chem and test again in 30 minutes and adjust the size in the pool calc until you get consistent at hitting the target you shoot for.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator