How to replace the water in my inground pool

Jan 25, 2011
Boonville, Indiana
My pool is about 4 1/2 summers old. When it was built they trucked in water to fill it. Since then, I had to top off with well water that went thru a softener, but im sure still had lots of minerals in it. Last summer we had city water finally run in front of our farm, and up to the house. Man is city water nice!!! Over the last few years I seem to get stains often on the steps as well as anything white. It comes off with a little acid poured in that area when I am lowering ph, but comes back within 30 days or so. I figure the water should be replaced. My pool is inground, 20 x 50 vinyl lined. How do I go about replacing the water? Do I completely drain it, clean, then refill?? I plan to put a couple of garden hoses in it to fill it back up.

I have heard stories about pools caving in but dont know if its true. We dont seem to have much ground water where the pool is since I have never seen a drop come from the pipe that drains from under/around the pool.

I also developed a few wrinkles in the shallow end last year when it go so hot. Can these wrinkles be worked out when the water is out and if so, how do you go about doing that??

Thanks
Hans

You don't want to drain your pool all at once. The easiest way is to drain it down a foot and then replace it, repeating the process several times. It's slow, but no risk to your pool, and garden hoses are a very slow way to fill your pool.

You could also drain down until there is just about 6 inches left in the shallow end and refill. This might let you work the wrinkles out as well, but it will still take several cycles to have most of the pool water replaced.

You can sometimes work wrinkles out of the liner by pulling the liner gently with a toilet plunger. Don't get to aggressive. It's kind of like working the wrinkles out of a bed sheet; You have to ease them to the edges.

Thanks. If I lower to 6 inches or so in shallow, fill with fresh with hose in shallow end, do not run pump except to drain from deep end main drain, refill again a few times, would this be a good way of changing the water. I would think since the pump is not circulating, the fresh water may stay on top????? wishful thinking?? Thanks and looking forward to fishing!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.