Test results...why don't I feel good about this?

Floater

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
Southwest OH
Hi Ya'll!
First post and most certainly not my last. I purchased the TF-100 test kit and very happy to receive so fast, thanks Dave. Anyway I'm going to post my readings below but first wanted to say that on some of the readings I've seen others post, I thought their readings weren't bad and then they were being told to schock, etc.? So I guess I can't wait to hear what I need to do. My background on pool experience is limited. About 20 years ago, I helped a friend clean pools but I never really did the testing and stuff. So can't remember a darn thing they told me back then. Anyway. I purchased my first AGP last summer and had installed about mid-July. We had great weather here in Ohio and was able to use it up through mid-October when we closed it. I was a test strip baby thinking I was saving myself all kinds of time but after reading my first read with the TF-100 I realize I'm surprised I didn't make any horrible mistakes last year. We've had the pool open for a aprox three weeks and have had a lot f rain so we've had to drain a little out about three times (I don't like it going above the skimmer) and the chlorine seems to be low. so I've probably shocked it three times with blast. Last time was last night. My "test strips" now tell me my chlorine is about 1ppm which is where the PS people told me it should be or as low as .5ppm because I use the auto chlorinator bac-pak with the mineral insert. I have not seen anyone here say that. So below are my readings with the TF-100 and let the questions fly!

FC 2
CC 0
TC 2
PH 7.5
T/A 140
CH 240
CYA 45
Temp aprox 68

Hey, Floater,

Welcome to the forum (and Thanks for the nice words about the kit)

Well, after that BIG buildup, I fully expected your pool water to be on fire!!! :lol: :lol:

You're in pretty darn good shape, my friend.

Assuming your water looks nice, you need to raise your chlorine just a bit (say 3-6ppm total) and then get ready to go swimming. Very nice work on your part!!

Now, always room for improvement, tho.

1. I'd take the mineral insert out and never buy another one...they don't work

2. If you continue to use tri-chlor pucks, keep a very close eye on your CYA....you'll be too high before summer's end for sure

3. As a future project, get your Alk down to about 100

That's all I can suggest. Very nice pool opening. Happy swimming!

lulupalooza said:
Hi Floater!

Welcome to TFP! And yep, I think you are in the right direction. Just a few minor adjustments and you to will have a trouble free pool!! :)

Thank you too lulupalooza, I appreciate it. My adjustment might be to take that mineral pack down to the PS and .... oh never mind I can't say it :lol:

Hey Floater,

Looks like we were sold the same system. We also got the Aqua-Smarte mineral system when we bought our AGP, and they also sold us a big bucket of Blast to shock with. Just wanted to point out that Blast is a non-chlorine shock (MPS, or Potassium monopersulfate), so it will add nothing to your free chlorine.

Here's a post I made last year and the subsequent replies. FWIW, I rarely need to shock the pool anymore except at opening and at closing, and if I do need to shock, I use regular old 6% bleach. I find it much, much cheaper than Blast. I also did away with the mineral system, and am using a saltwater chlorine generator for my daily chorine needs.

Chlorine or MPS?

Hi Floater and Welcome!

Good job on your numbers there! Just a little tweaking and no "shocking" advice!! 8)

You already have the TF Test Kit which puts you in the driver's seat with your pool water! Congrats!

We'd also like to see some pix! Glad to have you here. :lol:

MikeInTN said:
Hey Floater,

Looks like we were sold the same system. We also got the Aqua-Smarte mineral system when we bought our AGP, and they also sold us a big bucket of Blast to shock with. Just wanted to point out that Blast is a non-chlorine shock (MPS, or Potassium monopersulfate), so it will add nothing to your free chlorine.

Here's a post I made last year and the subsequent replies. FWIW, I rarely need to shock the pool anymore except at opening and at closing, and if I do need to shock, I use regular old 6% bleach. I find it much, much cheaper than Blast. I also did away with the mineral system, and am using a saltwater chlorine generator for my daily chorine needs.

Chlorine or MPS?

Thanks MikeInTN... I will read that post tonight when I get home from work. I never heard of a saltwater chlorine generator until I got on this forum. Sounds like I need to check out. The bleach thing still scares and made me always want to run the other way only because I usually associate that to chores but that is a whole other story :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.